• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer surging/Missing

Lightningwilly

Reaction score
City, State
Fortuna, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
My 1997 explorer 6 cyl, vin X, manual transmission seems to have the following problem:

On acceleration, I get surging / missing in the lower RPM range. At about 3000 RPM, the surging goes away and I have lots of power. I have plugged in the OBD2 tester and there are no stored codes. I have tested the MAF per te chilton manual tests, but the problem continues and the MAF tests good. I tried unplugging the MAF and it resulting in stalling. I cleaned it and re-installed it and removed power for 1 hour to clear the computer.
I removed the TPS and tested it with a bench oscilloscope and it showed smooth in all ranges (.96 - 5V).

Any ideas? I have been following the threads on MAF on the site.

Also, does anyone know of better tests than the simple voltage checks in the chilton manual?
Has anyone torn the llittle black box apart and replaced any parts in the MAF???

Thanks in advance for your help...

Bill Martin

Anyone here?

No ideas anyone?

Try cleaning the IAC.

Cam position sensor has been known to cause problems on acceleration. Ford has a TSB for all late 90s Fords that talks about various problems caused by CPS not functioning correctly.

What you have checked so far makes sense but you've come up dry, so might be worth checking.

Back