1997 Explorer tranny broke??? said the Ford Dealer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer tranny broke??? said the Ford Dealer

caiado

Reaction score
City, State
Currently in Germany, Home is where the Army takes us!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hi there,
We got a serious problem here, first of all, we have NOOOOOO clue about cars... we just drive it...and love it, but whatever is underneath the hood is a serious mystery to me..... :rolleyes:
Our Explorer had an issue for a while, which didn't bother me too much, but when I went a bit faster on a highway, and then tried to slow down, because I was getting off the highway (better yet - German Autobahn), the engine was howling REALLY loud!!! I figured out how to stop it once it started howling... I needed to keep my food on the gas pedal just a little bit then it would go away.
Anyways, we were going on a weekend trip... bout 300 miles.... and halfway there, the engine wouldn't stop howling like that anymore, the road forced me to slow down a lot, since we were going up and down hills... so I guess I took it to the limit.... we got off the highway and stopped at a gas station, and it wouldn't stop howling, even when I had it in P. It also howled in Reverse and wouldn't drive backwards anymore. D worked fine, no howling. Luckily our insurance covered the tow truck to the next ford dealer...which was a long distance away from where I live, and they said my transmission was completely broken and I won't be able to get parts for a 97 - they don't make parts for OLD cars like that, I would need a completely new transmission and it would come up to $3,500 (incl. them building it in)
Now friends of us are saying they don't believe that, and it may not be the complete transmission that is out... it may just need parts. And they don't believe that there are no parts available. I looked online for parts and found a whole lot of them, I just don't know which ones to get since the dealer is kind of taking advantage of the fact that we are so far away from home... I think. My hubby and a friend went all the way back to the dealer today and towed it back home, which was a major deal... almost broke the towing vehicle, because of the weight of the Explorer. They have discovered that the ford dealer already gave our keys to a guy who was interested in buying it, :mad: and had to call him first to get out key back..... Either way, my baby is home now, and I need some help trying to figure out what to do... what part to look for, and what the reasons could be for this behavior!

Well, I know I am making this a long story, but I don't want to cut it short, to stop any confusion....sorry about that. But thanks for reading through my book.... ;) And hopefully one of you can help me out! I am so tired of dealers and people trying to screw us when the situation is bad enough!

Barbara

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is total BS. Get the car back and away from them. Have someone else diagnose it. You can get parts for any transmission. Especially yours.They are dishonest and crooks.

Glacier991 said:
That is total BS. Get the car back and away from them. Have someone else diagnose it. You can get parts for any transmission. Especially yours.They are dishonest and crooks.
I agree.

Try cleaning/replacing the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. That is known to create a "howling" noise.

I don't know that a tranny would make a "howling" noise. That one's new to me. You obviously have tranny problems since you can't reverse but I definitely wouldn't let those hacks touch it again.

You can get rebuild parts for just about any old auto transmission (FMX is hard to find). Yours is so new it would be very easy. Even if its completely shot, it would not cost nearly that much to have a shop in the US rebuild it. Check with a more reputable local transmission shop.

Thank you!

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your replies. You definately made me feel much better. He really almost gave me a heart attack! I truly do not understand why people are so crooked, and don't care about a little family who has been through enough! My hubby just got back from one year of duty in Iraq, and to be honest with you, I think we are just having bad luck now, because we were so lucky to get him home safe! We're too blessed to be stressed!!!
Thanks for your replies, and maybe someone else can help me figure out what exactly is wrong with the car!

Barbara

Back