1997 Explorer - what year Ford Linc Merc Radios have exact same connectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer - what year Ford Linc Merc Radios have exact same connectors

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Looking for "better" radio that can be removed from Junk Yard and re-installed with identical connectors...

looked in forums and didn't see exactly this. Guessing that Lincoln and Merc would have higher dollar radios.

As always, love you guys and the information is invaluable in keeping my vehicles running.

"Better" is not always "better", this is because a "better" radio may be part of an option package that includes an amplifier and/or sub woofer that your car may not have installed for proper operation.
The "BEST" thing to do is find an exact same year, make, model as the one your are replacing.
The large white sticker in the drivers side door jamb should have the "code" for the installed radio you car came with.

The best radio put in the later Gen II Explorers and Mountaineers (and probably other Ford/Mercury models) was the Mach radio (made by Pioneer) These systems were used in the high-end Audiophile sound systems which included a rear amp and sub woofer, a 6-disc CD changer, steering wheel mounted controls and I assume better speakers. As such a lower end vehicle will not have all the same connections. The Mach radio had good sound for a stock system, but it had a flaw in that every one of them lost their display within a short period of time. The problem was that the components mounted on the power board made so much heat that they'd cause breaks in the solder joints of the circuit board. There used to be places that could modify the component mounting to make these radios more reliable. Mine was modified many years ago and the display still works. Dorman sells a replacement power board, but it does not work on the radios used with the 6-disc changers.

At this point in time I wouldn't bother with trying to find a working high-end OE radio for your truck. I suggest you contact Crunchfield and have them suggest a good aftermarket replacement with other components to meet your audio needs.

Looking for "better" radio that can be removed from Junk Yard and re-installed with identical connectors...

looked in forums and didn't see exactly this. Guessing that Lincoln and Merc would have higher dollar radios.

As always, love you guys and the information is invaluable in keeping my vehicles running.
95-97 have a unique radio.
There are a few variants, and the top of the line has very different, non-standard wiring. To replace it you have to run wires to the back. The head unit of the lower level looks similar, but the wiring is very different.

A 98 may fit but you may have to do some wiring modifications.

Back