Solved - 1997 Explorer with no heat. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1997 Explorer with no heat.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

jrogerbeck

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 mustang
AED80033-E22F-48BB-A6B8-392F2BC2D8D7.jpeg
I have a 1997 explorer 4.0 sohc that has no heat . I’ve done the bleed procedure to no effect as the heater hoses have not heated up . I’ve replaced the blend door and actuator previously so I know it’s not that and also sent the automatic climate control has been rebuilt . Does anyone know how to test the heater control valve or to bypass it . I’m ok if the heat and AC only works if full on . Also wHat does the device in the attached picture does . It’s righ behind the iac valveon the intake manifold

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you get heat in one out of two heater hoses? Maybe the heater core is clogged?
No . Im gonna disconnect the heater hoses tomorrow and see if water flows thru. Replacing the core on these trucks is a colossal pain so I hope it’s not that

That's the VIS Variable Intake System. Changes the runner length of the plenum.

That's the VIS Variable Intake System. Changes the runner length of the plenum.

I knew there was a butterfly valve on the underside to redirect air...but, have never heard exactly what the purpose was. Anybody with a detailed explanation?

Just changes the torque curve a wee bit, or so they claim.

View attachment 394905I have a 1997 explorer 4.0 sohc that has no heat . I’ve done the bleed procedure to no effect as the heater hoses have not heated up . I’ve replaced the blend door and actuator previously so I know it’s not that and also sent the automatic climate control has been rebuilt . Does anyone know how to test the heater control valve or to bypass it . I’m ok if the heat and AC only works if full on . Also wHat does the device in the attached picture does . It’s righ behind the iac valveon the intake manifold
Have you checked the thermostat? Mine was stuck in the open position and would never really overheat in the summer but in the winter it didn't heat up at all. I was afraid that on really cold days the coolant would freeze up. I drove my poor granddaughter to school one whole winter like this. When Spring came around I took my car to my mechanic and had him replace the thermostat. That fixed the problem.

Yeah...the first gens it would drop right out on the floor of passenger side but then Ford decided to set it up to make a killing on replacement/labor like other manufacturers like my Jeep GC which started leaking a few years ago....bypassed it and so now Explorer will be my daily for winter/ working heater.

I lost heat and had low coolant. Reservoir hose was clogged so it was full I thought I was good.

You said you did bleed procedure so I’m guessing you’re good

Only thing I know about no heat so thought I’d share

I’m ok if the heat and AC only works if full on

You said it works okay but only on high?
If that is the case then I suspect your EATC controller, blower motor controller/resistor they call it

Also your EATC has a self testing procedure, you should try that see if any codes come up for the blend door actuator.

These heater cores are all aluminum and unless they are leaking you can usually backflush them to remove the clog, either with air or water....just have to run it through backwards

Testing the heater control valve on the heater hoses is really simple. I just remove it and have a look see. You can make it open close by using vacuum pump or your mouth. You can hold the plunger closed with a zip tie for testing. Next check the engine side of things to make sure it is getting vacuum at the feed line

97 SOHC likely needs a new thermostat and housing, cannot hurt!

It runs at the right temp so I don’t think it’s thaAs I commented earlier, if the thermostat is stuck in the open position, it does rum at the right temperature until the temperature drops in the winter. By virtue of it being stuck in the open position and never closing, the coolant will never heat up because it is contiually flowing through the radiator. On the heat gauge, never moved in cold weather. Anyway, I'm interested in what the final esult will be when you find the problem. Please be sure to post it. Good luck. BTW I replaced the heater coil, the sensors on the doors, had my radiator flushed, before I went with my own judgement and fixed the problem. It can get out of hand

I see it was already replaced!! Good eye

I once unclogged a heater core with air pressure without removing it.
View attachment 394905I have a 1997 explorer 4.0 sohc that has no heat . I’ve done the bleed procedure to no effect as the heater hoses have not heated up . I’ve replaced the blend door and actuator previously so I know it’s not that and also sent the automatic climate control has been rebuilt . Does anyone know how to test the heater control valve or to bypass it . I’m ok if the heat and AC only works if full on . Also wHat does the device in the attached picture does . It’s righ behind the iac valveon the intake manifold

It was the heater core. Back flushed it and a lot of crap came out . Heat works great now. Thanks everyone for the advice !

Back