1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 speed sensor problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 speed sensor problem?

dannyp1983

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6
Hi,

Sometimes (but not all of the time) when I attempt to put my truck into 4WD the transfer case will not engage, and the little lights in the instrument panel will blink a few times and go off. But, if I put the truck in park, shut the truck off and crank it back up again and put it in neutral it will usually go into 4WD without any of the aforementioned problems. My logic and fundamental knowledge of the vehicle leads me to believe that there is a speed sensor that may be faulty that is telling the transfer case not to engage, and by restarting the vehicle I am resetting the speed sensors fault switch (not sure about terminology)?

If anyone is familiar with this problem please get back to me. I am not overly concerned but I would like to get this corrected as shutting off my truck may not be a possibility some time in the future (i.e. I'm stuck in deep water or something and need to switch to 4WD quickly w/e shutting the engine off).

Thanks!

Back