1997 Ford Explorer 4x4 Rear Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer 4x4 Rear Differential

AndreaBR

Reaction score
City, State
Brasil
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer V6 OHV
Hi,
I need to buy the Differential Gear kit for a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV 4X4. Differential rear Trac Loc.
The part number (kit) is 4L3Z 4215 GA, but different parts appear for the same code.
On some sites the smaller gear has nine teeth and the larger gear has thirteen teeth. At other sites the smaller gear has 10 teeth and the larger gear has 14 teeth. Look at the images. Both have 31 splines and the same code 4L3Z4215GA.
What is the correct kit for my Explorer?
I need the kit to be here the day the differential is repaired.
Can someone help me?
20200812_000734.jpg
Screenshot_20200811-234349_Chrome.jpg

According to ROCKAUTO, the USA STANDARD GEAR ZIKF88TL31 Differential Carrier Gear Kit; Cast; Only Works w/ Factory Trac-Loc Posi ,
I imagine the LSD and OPEN diffs are going to use different spider gears, the only way to know what you have in your car is to open the cover to the diff, and count the teeth on your spider gears.

According to ROCKAUTO, the USA STANDARD GEAR ZIKF88TL31 Differential Carrier Gear Kit; Cast; Only Works w/ Factory Trac-Loc Posi ,
I imagine the LSD and OPEN diffs are going to use different spider gears, the only way to know what you have in your car is to open the cover to the diff, and count the teeth on your spider gears.

I think this is the most sensible solution. Buying parts before opening the differential will not be an option.
Thank you for the help

Back