1997 ford explorer air ride struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 ford explorer air ride struts

BrandonCustom

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
My 1997 ford explorer with the rear air ride, rides like im driving through a forest on fire with rocks the size of buildings the air ride system is all good i feel like i need to replace my rear struts to make it more comfortable and ride friendly i keep looking up struts and finding ones that say (except air leveling) so they wont work? If anyone knows or has done anything similar let me know what struts you have and how they feel

Your rear SHOCKS options are either standard shock (not air leveling) or air shocks like what came originally on the vehicle, or (spring) coil over shocks.

They read "except air leveling" because your vehicle has air leveling and to keep the air leveling feature you would need to buy air shocks rather than standard shocks, but if you don't wish to keep the air leveling feature then you can use standard shocks.

Do you want to return the vehicle to near factory ride with new air shocks, settle for a less complex, less controlled, and less expensive ride with standard shocks, or a more firm and controlled, faster reacting coil over shock priced between the other two options?

These are only generalities, as you wrote about both comfort and lack of control which many people consider to be opposites, where comfort is about a softer suspension and control is a firmer one, although I do feel that rocking around like you're on a boat isn't very comfortable, that for rough roads you probably want the coil over shocks like these:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=60655&cc=1119675

Here's a related topic, a forum search will probably find more related topics:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371451

However, there may be other suspension components you also want to replace like ball joints, arm bushings, tie rods & bushings, sway bar bushings, etc., whatever has extra play in it to contribute to the sloppy handling.

Back