1997 Ford Explorer seatbelt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer seatbelt

Jsidrer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
My seatbelt buckle broke the bush button wont lock into place ive tried wd40 it didnt work and tried a small screwdriver to pop into place so im looking at replacing it and i wanted to know if the connection would be the same on a 1998 style seat belt buckle rather than the 1998 because its cheaper on me if i can get a 98 if it will work because no place mear me has them and through ford they want about $130 for it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are vendors on here that sell used parts. They might be able to help you out with the correct part.

Try digging on eBay?

You can't fix it, you have to replace it. I believe the used ones from a junkyard or something similar is your only option. I know my '96 has the metal type latch, and I believe it was changed to a plastic style one down the road, so be aware of that. if you don't really care, you can get any one, as long as it has the same connector for the seat belt light.

You need to know whether your year had the belt pre-tensioners or not. Those have a pyrotechnic device in the belt latch (like an airbag). That makes the part a LOT more expensive, and you have to be careful when replacing it not to set it off. You need to treat those like an airbag. But if you have the earlier style without the pre-tensioner, it's a pretty simple and inexpensive replacement. They all seem to go bad after a while though, so if you get a replacement from a parts yard, check carefully that it doesn't have the same problem.

Back