1997 Ford Explorer XLT Hood wont open or close all the way. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer XLT Hood wont open or close all the way.

pntballer26

Reaction score
City, State
South Lyon Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 explorer xlt and I noticed something leaking at the store so i popped my hood and found out what was wrong with that but when I went to shut my hood, It didnt close right. There is about an inch and a half gap at the end of the hood, and it wont open back up or close all the way. The cable realise is working just fine but the handle behind the grill wont budge. Any sugestions would be greatly appricated. Thanks

Maybe (but im not sure) the shocks that hold up the hood once you open it got slightly bent and wont let the hood close properly and makes the handle stuck. Check to see if they are bent and if one of them or both are, then replacing them would probably fix it.

I have a 1997 explorer xlt and I noticed something leaking at the store so i popped my hood and found out what was wrong with that but when I went to shut my hood, It didnt close right. There is about an inch and a half gap at the end of the hood, and it wont open back up or close all the way. The cable realise is working just fine but the handle behind the grill wont budge. Any sugestions would be greatly appricated. Thanks

I've seen someone have this problem before.
Take a long flat head screwdriver and try opening the hood by sticking it in where the hood locks. (Between the grill and hood)
Once you get the hood open, try manually closing/opening the lock with your finger, if it fails to open/close, it may be rusty or you need a new lock..
Good Luck!

I figured out what it was after looking at it with a cold beer in my hand lmao... I must have bumped the latch down when I was looking at the engine and then when i shut the hood, that's why it jammed between that and the secondary safety latch. I had to unbolt the hatch mechnesiem and then raise the hood that way.

Back