1997 Ford Explorer XLT--Need Part F77Z3B676EA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer XLT--Need Part F77Z3B676EA

jmichalsky

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I am at wits end in my efforts to locate a part necessary for my 1997 Ford Explorer. Evidently, the part is discontinued and obsolete in 2011. The part is called either the steering shaft u-joint or lower shaft and joint assembly. The part number is F77Z3B676EA. I've checked everywhere without success. Even Green Sales Company, where the salesman said he checked with 4,000 Ford Dealers nationwide and nobody, yes none of them, have this part or know where I could locate one. My vehicle is a cream puff and for the past 3 months, I haven't been able to drive it. This Explorer was an extremely popular vehicle and Ford made millions of them, so why is THIS part unavailable where all the other parts of the steering column are available? The only other place may help me is JEGS, and I would need to know all the dimensions (diameter, splines, etc.) and he could possibly find a part that would work. It sure seems like there would be 1 of these parts somewhere in the United States!!! Good grief, this has been way more than a challenge. Hopefully, some of you may be able to provide me a lifeline!! Thank you very much. Regards. Joseph Michalsky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would F150 or ranger shaft work?

Does it look anything like this, cant remember how mine looks like

Edit: You might have to remove the old part and measure it, what's wrong with yours?
Not really sure, since I'm not a mechanic. The diagrams all appear to show a boot covering the u-joint. If I can get a technical drawing with diameters, splines, etc., I may have someone that could track down the part. I don't understand why 4 of the 12 parts of the column are discontinued and not the other 8!

Yeah, this is a common issue among second gens. You would probably need to find a low mileage one from another Explorer or Ranger. I have my old one hanging around that I am going to see if I can replace the ujoint in it.

The reason yours is discontinued is that they changed the shaft design in '98. Fortunately the later versions still fit the '95-'97 models and you can get them new; not cheap though.

Yeah, this is a common issue among second gens. You would probably need to find a low mileage one from another Explorer or Ranger. I have my old one hanging around that I am going to see if I can replace the ujoint in it.

The reason yours is discontinued is that they changed the shaft design in '98. Fortunately the later versions still fit the '95-'97 models and you can get them new; not cheap though.

I clicked on that link and it says this part will not fit my 1997. Is this the part (and number) for the 1998? And will it fit the 1997 even though the vehicle fit check says no? Is the 1998 part still available? This is the craziest thing I've ever seen. I have this awesome vehicle and it just sits in my driveway. Would you have a detailed spec that shows dimensions, etc.? I have a call in to Global Steering Systems (who made the part) and waiting to hear back.

Yes, it will work. They just changed a sleeve in the u-joint from metal to rubber, everything else is the same.

I just threw one out a few weeks ago...:banghead: After getting tired of tripping over the column for a year.

I am at wits end in my efforts to locate a part necessary for my 1997 Ford Explorer. Evidently, the part is discontinued and obsolete in 2011. The part is called either the steering shaft u-joint or lower shaft and joint assembly. The part number is F77Z3B676EA. I've checked everywhere without success. Even Green Sales Company, where the salesman said he checked with 4,000 Ford Dealers nationwide and nobody, yes none of them, have this part or know where I could locate one. My vehicle is a cream puff and for the past 3 months, I haven't been able to drive it. This Explorer was an extremely popular vehicle and Ford made millions of them, so why is THIS part unavailable where all the other parts of the steering column are available? The only other place may help me is JEGS, and I would need to know all the dimensions (diameter, splines, etc.) and he could possibly find a part that would work. It sure seems like there would be 1 of these parts somewhere in the United States!!! Good grief, this has been way more than a challenge. Hopefully, some of you may be able to provide me a lifeline!! Thank you very much. Regards. Joseph Michalsky
One thing you could try, and it fixed my problem 100%. If this is the lower U-joint binding, and it is not physically broken, I suggest to spray a full can of Fluid Film into it. My symptom was the wheel would fully bind and not return on any turn. Aim the spray nozzle into the moving parts, the u-joint bearings. Use about 1/4 the can, to start work the wheel, then continue with more, repeat. Can't hurt, right? I can say it fixed my problem, but I can't guarantee it can fix yours. I've never heard of the part breaking so so you are safe to do this.

You are not getting this part new. If you are near a pick and pull, you can find a used one, likely near the end of its life. There are custom steering solutions and U-joints but they are difficult to find and very expensive.

One thing you could try, and it fixed my problem 100%. If this is the lower U-joint binding, and it is not physically broken, I suggest to spray a full can of Fluid Film into it. My symptom was the wheel would fully bind and not return on any turn. Aim the spray nozzle into the moving parts, the u-joint bearings. Use about 1/4 the can, to start work the wheel, then continue with more, repeat. Can't hurt, right? I can say it fixed my problem, but I can't guarantee it can fix yours. I've never heard of the part breaking so so you are safe to do this.

You are not getting this part new. If you are near a pick and pull, you can find a used one, likely near the end of its life. There are custom steering solutions and U-joints but they are difficult to find and very expensive.
My mechanic said they will not perform this activity. So that's means I would have to do this myself and I am very unfamiliar with the procedure. Would I need to remove the unit (if so, then stop right here) or can I get underneath my vehicle and spray into the unit like holy hell? Thanks for getting me THIS far!

Yes, it will work. They just changed a sleeve in the u-joint from metal to rubber, everything else is the same.

My mechanic said I would need to pruchase this part (for the 1998 Explorer) and bring it in. He said the part needsto match exactly (length, diameter, etc.) and can't be 1/4" too short or too long. And he would need to remove the old part (1997) and compare with the 1998 version. So now I'm very timid that these parts are not compatible. If I do indeed purchase the 1998 part, I sure hope I can return it. And then I'd be back where I started. Would you have any dimensions for either or both parts? Thanks for your help!

They are exactly the same length, nothing changed but the joint. Besides the joint has a slip shaft in it that can compensate quite a bit. Your mechanic is just covering his ass.

My mechanic said they will not perform this activity. So that's means I would have to do this myself and I am very unfamiliar with the procedure. Would I need to remove the unit (if so, then stop right here) or can I get underneath my vehicle and spray into the unit like holy hell? Thanks for getting me THIS far!
Nothing to remove. Put a cardboard on the floor (common sense, parking brake, chocked wheels, etc.), slide under the front, find the lower steering shaft U joint on the drivers side and spray away, start the car, work the wheel, repeat, etc. Mechanic may not want to do this for various reasons. If it don't work, he gets blamed. He could also lose out on work.

The rubber protective boot will likely be destroyed by now so you will have no problem finding it. Fluid has to work its way into the "hinges" and moving parts to work. I say this is worth a shot. I repeat once a year. Again my symptom was bad binding.

This question may be a little late to the conversation, but what exactly is a "cream puff", as related to the topic in the first post?

This question may be a little late to the conversation, but what exactly is a "cream puff", as related to the topic in the first post?
Ha! Cream Puff is the term I use for my 23 year old vehicle. It still looks brand new! Well taken care of and well maintained over the years. Just 150,000 miles on it. And this is why I'm trying to get the vehicle repaired and some of the folks that have responded have come through with flying colors with their answers. Thanks for asking!!

Ha! Cream Puff is the term I use for my 23 year old vehicle. It still looks brand new! Well taken care of and well maintained over the years. Just 150,000 miles on it. And this is why I'm trying to get the vehicle repaired and some of the folks that have responded have come through with flying colors with their answers. Thanks for asking!!

I feel the same about my 1994 Aerostar 3L automatic, 127,193 miles. Had it worked on , new tires and brakes, and shop owner had only seen my 2008 Subaru H6 Outback before so he looked the Ford over and was floored. Said it's cleanest Aerostar he has seen for over 10 years, maybe even longer. I plan on keeping this till I can no longer drive, maybe 10 - 15 more years. What should I be looking at next?? The transmission was replaced by Ford dealer with a factory re-built at 115K. TIA
vanman

Thats good to know because every time I see "cream puff" used to describe a car, I picture a yellow 1963 Caddy convertible with zebra interior!

@jmichalsky Not long after your post having to do with the Steering Intermediate Shaft on a 1997, I was having the same problem that you are having. The part is not available however after looking for a replacement I decided to remove mine, free it up, make a new boot excessively and lube it. I havn't tested it yet because I broke the shift cable during the process. here is a link to my post dealing with it.
1997 steering shaft

Junk yards are full of parts like that but if your not willing to do it that's not an option, at least not from a you pull it yard.

And the part Jegs will sell you will not fit right on I'd bet. More then likely it's an aftermarket steering shaft, which are very nice but normally replace the complete shaft.

Rangers had the same intermediate shaft until 2011....just FYI
You can find that part in Mazda B3000, B4000, Mercury mountaineer, Explorer, Sport, sport trac and of course the Ranger 98-11

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I am in the same situation just rebuilt my 97 Mountaneer engine and purchased Ford Performance headers and before installing them I needed to rebuild the lower steering column and need the $5 flex boots but none available, so I wouldn't mind buying the whole lower steering with no aval either, youtube shows installing a ram boot but don't aprove of such work. I someone would provide info, another way is to modify the CV joint to a U joint. ED

Back