1997 Ford Ranger. Brake problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Ranger. Brake problems.

jhh45

Reaction score
Hi I'm Jim, hope I'm at the right forum? I have a 1997 ford ranger ext cab with a 4.0 eng. 5 speed trans. and it has cruise control and I think it has only rear ABS? I have a brake problem, as I was driving I felt a bumb and the steering wheel jerked to the left. I thought I had hit something in the road but couldn't see anything, this may not mean anything but thought I should mention it as the next time I hit the brakes I only had 1/2 pedal. I went on shopping as it would still stop the truck than when I pulled out of the parking lot I had a full pedal and good brakes again, next day went to start truck, 1/2 pedal again but while driving I got a full pedal again. I come home parked and today pedal goes to floor and won't hold truck at all (we live on a hill). I pulled the emergency brake put it in gear, tried to move the truck but back brakes held good as truck wouldn't move. As of now I have no brakes using the pedal. I have no leaks as master cylinder is full and I checked all wheels for leaks. Would this be a failure of the master cylinder or maybe something else? Could the cruise control affect the brakes like this? Sorry for being so long winded but it's hard to explain. Thanks for any help as it will be appreciated Jim

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Ranger section. Bleed the brakes, then see if you still have the same problem. The next step is to replace the master cylinder, and check the pads, calipers, and rotors for wear.

Back