1997 front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 front end

Griz

Reaction score
I have been having this rattle noise from the front end at all speeds. Sounds like the old radius arm bushing noise from the earlier years. Driving me nuts. Broken shock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How loud is it? can you tell if it is coming from one side or the other? I had a rattle coming from the drivers side front wheel and it turned out to be the dealer forgot to replace the "anti rattle" clips on the brakes after servicing them.

Its noticable, most at low speeds going over the smallest bump. Checked all the heat shields, and the air deflector under the radiator. No pebbles stuck in them. Thinking its broken/warn shocks or B/joints. Truck has 60K miles, nothing replaced yet, including brakes.

Have you had the torsion bar recall done yet? It could be one of the torsion bars broke its flange and is rattling. Just a thought.

Jim, first I've heard of a torsion bar recall. Would you have the recall number?

you may be thinking of the sway bar link recall. I didn't notice anything except excessive roll of turns, while changing brake pads, i saw it and chnged them out BEFORE the recall. Didn't save reciepts..DOOOH...out $66.
It may be broke and tapping against the lower arm..Just turn the wheel full and you can see it.

Griz,
this may sound silly, but go out and give your front tires a big kick. If you hear the rattle it may be the brake clips. That is how I showed my mechanic the problem which they "could not duplicate". They replaced heat shields and everything else before I did the "kick test". My mechanic said the clips are pretty thin metal and its possible that one or more may have come off or broken. When I was missing one clip it was during the summer and I had my windows open. Crusing at low speeds even large cracks in the pavement would make it rattle. The best way I could describe the sound was that it sounded like a small bag of pennies were tied up in the wheel well. Its a much cheaper fix than trying to replace ball joints or shock mounts....

Well, I checked the sway bar links, look OK, connections nice and tight. Brake anti-rattle clips are in place. Didn't think it would be easy, these types of things are a bear to diagnose.

Back