1997 Full Time AWD V8 Exploerer question. Transfer case. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Full Time AWD V8 Exploerer question. Transfer case.

Whiskey

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Hello all! I need some information about the transfer case in the 1997 AWD V8 Explorer.

A friend had me drive her's today and when I get on the gas, especially at low speeds there is a loud "Poping" sound coming from what I think is the Transfer case.

I've found allot of information about the dis-engageable transfer case for this model, but I am having a ruff time finding any data on even what transfer case is used in the full time 4 wheel drive model.

What transfer case is in this vehicle? (part number?)

Do you have a link so I can see what the inside of this thing looks like?

The only off road this truck see's is gravel spilled into a parking lot,.. is there any reason why I can't simply remove the front drive shaft?

She wants to get a new explorer, but needs this one to last another few months before she can afford the new one. We are looking for a cheap easy solution to limp her by :)

BTW,.. this would be the second time this transfer case has been replaced in 170K miles,.. last time it cost her 2K.

Thanks for the help!
Whiskey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case in the vehicle is the 4404 made by Borg Warner.

I dont think we have any pictures of the 4404 open, but I wouldnt open the transfer case just yet. I mean the problem could be other things like a driveshaft U-joint, or maybe even the axle itself.

You can remove the front driveshaft but not permanently because the vehicle will "creep" if you park the vehicle on any incline w/o the front driveshaft. But you can remove it just for a quick spin around town to narrow it down as to what exactly is making all that noise.

If it is the transfer case, and you only need the vehicle for a few more months, I would gamble and maybe pick up a transfer case from a local junk yard or maybe even Ebay. There are also vendors and other members on the forum (that have switched to the manually shifted 4406 model) that are getting rid of their 4404s.

My front driveshaft, when it went, was gone. Popping was constant, no matter the load. When my transfer case went, it was only under load. I picked one up from ped5stang, a vendor on this forum. It's been running strong for 20k-30k miles now. I have the old case, and hope to get time to open it up and consider trying to fix it some day, hopefully before I need it again. I believe you have to rule out the front half shafts as well though. To figure out it was my tcase, I had someone ride the brake, and hit the gas to make the truck CRAWL up and hill, as I lay on the ground to listen. Just don't stick your head too far under there unless you REALLY trust your driver. :D

The transfer case in the vehicle is the 4404 made by Borg Warner.

I dont think we have any pictures of the 4404 open, but I wouldnt open the transfer case just yet. I mean the problem could be other things like a driveshaft U-joint, or maybe even the axle itself.

You can remove the front driveshaft but not permanently because the vehicle will "creep" if you park the vehicle on any incline w/o the front driveshaft. But you can remove it just for a quick spin around town to narrow it down as to what exactly is making all that noise.

If it is the transfer case, and you only need the vehicle for a few more months, I would gamble and maybe pick up a transfer case from a local junk yard or maybe even Ebay. There are also vendors and other members on the forum (that have switched to the manually shifted 4406 model) that are getting rid of their 4404s.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

What do you mean "Creap" when parked on an incline?

I was under the impression that the transmition drove the rear wheels (or rear driveline) in this vehicle directly, and the front tires are driven off a chain setup off the mainshaft. Meaning if you gut the transfer case you still have your rear wheel drive.

Have I been given the wrong information?

Sorry for asking what should be simple questions,.. I normally work on foreign cars and am not fermiliar with how a Ford is setup, or frankly with 4 wheel dive setups in general :rolleyes:

I'm going to go see if I can find pics of a Borg Warner 4404 apart from google :)

Thanks!
Whiskey

My front driveshaft, when it went, was gone. Popping was constant, no matter the load. When my transfer case went, it was only under load. I picked one up from ped5stang, a vendor on this forum. It's been running strong for 20k-30k miles now. I have the old case, and hope to get time to open it up and consider trying to fix it some day, hopefully before I need it again. I believe you have to rule out the front half shafts as well though. To figure out it was my tcase, I had someone ride the brake, and hit the gas to make the truck CRAWL up and hill, as I lay on the ground to listen. Just don't stick your head too far under there unless you REALLY trust your driver. :D

Lol,.. I'm not sure I trust anyone that much ;)

I did do the standard look through,.. drivelines seem tight, CV's don't pop when I'm turned all the way left or right, boots are in great shape, nothing seems loose,.. but there's allot I could miss with a perfunctory look through in a parking lot like this.

If you are easy on the gas it may not pop, or might pop once,.. if you cram on the gas,.... well,.. let's just say I let off in fear of what might break all the way.

Whiskey

Lol,.. I'm not sure I trust anyone that much ;)

I did do the standard look through,.. drivelines seem tight, CV's don't pop when I'm turned all the way left or right, boots are in great shape, nothing seems loose,.. but there's allot I could miss with a perfunctory look through in a parking lot like this.

If you are easy on the gas it may not pop, or might pop once,.. if you cram on the gas,.... well,.. let's just say I let off in fear of what might break all the way.

Whiskey

Yep, that's what my tcase did when it went. If you get a used one, it's a relatively easy 1 day job if you got everything ready. I think I took my time and took 2 days. 4 jack stands and and a floor jack. Center console has to be removed. I just sliced the carpet under the center console to get to the access panel.

What do you mean "Creap" when parked on an incline?
It will creep because of the Viscous Clutch. The transfer case you have is not like most transfer cases out there so the concepts of a typical transfer case dont apply.

I was under the impression that the transmition drove the rear wheels (or rear driveline) in this vehicle directly, and the front tires are driven off a chain setup off the mainshaft. Meaning if you gut the transfer case you still have your rear wheel drive.
No, as stated, this isn't like a typical selectable transfer case.

But dont worry about the innards, you havent even narrowed it down to exactly what is making all that noise.

Cripe,.. Your right,.. there's this little ring gear/clutch assembly between the tranny and rear tires,.. the part that's directally driven is the front tires,.. but that's through a chain. Well this explains exactly why the chain would be skipping then :(

So the primary drive tires are really the front ones,.. the back ones don't get as much power? Dangit.

Okay,.. well we still have the option of temporarally removing the front drive line to see if the poping goes away,.. if it does we know for sure the problem is somewhere in the front end or tranfer case.

If not then I want to think transmition (shudder)

I think I can rule out the front diff right away,.. does anyone disagree? Remember this thing is babied by it's normal driver,.. think "Driving Ms. Daisey" babied,.. I don't think she's ever had it past 1/2 throttle.

So that leaves front driveline,.. which I can make a point of inspecting when it's off the vehicle, and the front CV's.

But I want to rule them out two,.. because when this thing skips it jerks the car hard,... like a gear slipping teeth.

Thanks!
Whiskey

Good find

The split on the 4404 is 40/60 front/rear. I'll bet your driveshaft is bad, they are usually the first things that fail. I'd pull it and see what it does, but do set the parking brake, it will roll.

Another thing to check would be the front differential, remove the drive shaft and check for play in the pinion.

The T-case swap is relatively simple, I did my 4406 in a conversion in one afternoon, I wouldn't spend 2k on another case swap. SYM and do it yourself. Heck, if you will drive to me, I'll do it for 1k and provide the case.

Very good find-
remove the front drive shaft-and pull the cv joint area away from the shaft.
If the rubber is torn at all ( you need to remove the driveshaft to see it) there is your bang bang hell.

Attachments

• Front drive shaft bad.jpg
    Front drive shaft bad.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8,138

Back