1997 Mercury or 5.0L Ex VIN Needed- for scanner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mercury or 5.0L Ex VIN Needed- for scanner

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
As some of you guys know I recently completed a drivetrain conversion.

The time has come for the scanner to talk to the trucks new computer
In order for me to do this I need a VIN number from the correct truck.

If somebody can PM me or post their VIN number here I would really appriciate it, It will only be used for me to talk to my computer with a OBD-II scanner.

the truck must be:

1997 Mercury or Ford
Mountaineer or Explorer
5.0L V8
All Wheel Drive
Automatic transmission

Also the truck must have P heads but I am not sure thats a big deal, at least to get them talking.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could make one up. I am sure that you could do a search and find the proper numbers to do that.

Well I have a vin for a 96 Ex that I can use, but I would prefer to use a real Mercury 97 VIN just in case, this truck has the P heads, my 96 Ex does not. I dont think the PCMs are any different, but just in case.

PM V8boatbuilder ;)

PM sent :) thanks!

Bumpity still need, come on people help me out! I am trying to make Moab and I need to get the scanner talking to the truck

410Fortune said:
Bumpity still need, come on people help me out! I am trying to make Moab and I need to get the scanner talking to the truck

Have you tried Ebay? ;)

They always list the VINs of the cars. Just a thought.

Sorry I can't help you, my specs are just what you need but I'm a 96.

good idea! Thanks.....

U R A GENIOUS
30 seconds, found a 97 Ex AWD VIN on Ebay...perfect! Thanks!

I am off to talk to the $3000 Snap On Scanner....fingers crossed.

The last digits are unique to the vehicle. Why not use those from your Bronco II? Just for your own use.
Don

the scanner only asks for the 5th, 8th, and 10th digits.
It worked!

thanks guys! My diagnostics port is wired correctly, I got the codes I expected, and then a few more I dont really care about, so I am happy!
I know what I need to do to get the CEL to go away and its what I expected, so HELL YEAH! I can pass emissions.....

Jamie,

Glad you found a VIN, and everything worked. I was away from the computer for the last few days.

What codes did you pull?

-Aaron

hahahaha well leseee...I pulled a few :)
But most of them I dont give a crap about, I jsut want the emissions ones gone so i can get the CEL off and pass the sniffer test.

I expected all the codes I got, but there were about three I did not expect but I understand, I dont have a GEM module in my BII and the computer is looking for one.

If I hook up my canister vent valve the emissions codes will be cleared and I will be golden!

the important thing is I wired up the diagnostics port correctly and it works!

I will list the codes and their meaning in my conversion thread later, right now I am hitching up the boat and hitting the lake for happy hour/sunset :)

google groups...

410Fortune said:
U R A GENIOUS
30 seconds, found a 97 Ex AWD VIN on Ebay...perfect! Thanks!

I am off to talk to the $3000 Snap On Scanner....fingers crossed.

Glad it worked out!

I expect pictures posted of the final product. I am following your progress.

Best of luck!

OKay I will post pictures and code details this week.
Still a few bugs to work out.....

Back