1997 mountaineer aftermarket stereo trouble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 mountaineer aftermarket stereo trouble

asuastrophysics

Reaction score
City, State
Boone, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
hey guys,

I run my own car repair business, and I was installing an *older and cheaper* stereo in my customer's car. He wanted to sell the mountaineer and he had this $300 stereo with an LCD screen installed. He wanted to take that one out and put a cheaper stereo in its place.

Someone else had already installed a wiring harness behind the new stereo.
I hooked up all the speaker wires by color-code, one by one.

I don't have any sound coming out any of the door speakers. The only sound I get is from the aftermarket sub in the back.

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be getting sound from the 4 channels?
**Does not have JBL, storage bin is in the back on the right**

Any help would be appreciated! ;)

built-in amp in the head unit not working? how is the sub hooked up? If it is rca cables, and the speakers are run off the deck, I would say there is a problem with the deck output.

built-in amp in the head unit not working? how is the sub hooked up? If it is rca cables, and the speakers are run off the deck, I would say there is a problem with the deck output.

that's exactly what I was thinking. the amp and sub are hooked up to RCA "audio out" ports on the back of the head unit. The sub is the only speaker outputting audio when music is played.

I would think that the internal amp for the 4 door speakers is gone, but the preamp for an external amplifier still works. this would explain why the sub is still going.

Back