1997 mounty blend door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 mounty blend door

jtre

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Working on my blend door. Got the dash removed enough so I can access the plenum box, but I am trying to open the box without removing it if possible, and would like to avoid any of the quick fixes with the dremel if possible. Any suggestions?

Also, minor concern. Since i did lower the dash, similar to this

()

video, is there any possibility of an accidental air bag deployment when I reconnect the battery cables? I didnt disconnect any of the SRS connectors and didnt remove any air bag components, but could jostling the dash around cause that? Dont want a boom when I connect my battery again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, that seems like a lot of work to get to the blend door. The dropping the glove box/dremel method is really a lot easier and achieves the same results, and with less chance for accidentally screwing something up. But, I applaud your effort in wanting to do it the correct way.

yeah im just so close to it since I was able to get the dash off. (actually not that bad, would have taken two hours if i didnt keep getting fire calls) Ran out of time unfortunately so I put it back together so Ill have to retry when I have a few days to let my car sit. Looks like I will have to go through all of the steps to remove the heater core in order to unbolt the box. Going to be fun

IIRC there's a hidden bolt you must access via the engine compartment to get the plenum out. As Duane said, I applaud you wanting to do this job the right way. I usually prefer doing things the right way, but this i one job I'd do the quick and dirty way.

Decided to cut the bottom of the box, couldnt get the blend door out. but I did fix it to AC so at least I have cool air now, probably will leave it be until the winter and just remove the duct tape, switch it to hot, and re tape it.

Is the actuator not working? It is possible to get to the actuator through the glove box. It's a PITA but it can be done.

Is the actuator not working? It is possible to get to the actuator through the glove box. It's a PITA but it can be done.
Actuator was ok. Im not too happy with the fix because I gotta take the tape off in the winter to switch to heat (couldnt get the door out) but at least I have AC right now

I did my 98 EB from the underside a few years ago. NAPA has a repair kit that is designed to do the repair from above which of course means removing the entire unit. In the kit is a template to cut open the area around the blend door. I transferred the outline to some heavy paper and used it to trace the underside. the round part is where the door hinges. by cutting a triangle shaped hole via template including the hinge you can rotate the blend door so it drops out. I started the cut with a dremel tool but found it difficult to freehand so I used an exacto knife with a saw blade you can find at a hobby shop. The only down side was taping the plastic piece back in place had to be redone every few months because of the heat and the weight of the blend door resting on it. I got rid of the car before I could make a more permanent fix. I also recommend removing the passenger seat. I too admire your attempt to remove the dash and heater box. hope this helps

I did my 98 EB from the underside a few years ago. NAPA has a repair kit that is designed to do the repair from above which of course means removing the entire unit. In the kit is a template to cut open the area around the blend door. I transferred the outline to some heavy paper and used it to trace the underside. the round part is where the door hinges. by cutting a triangle shaped hole via template including the hinge you can rotate the blend door so it drops out. I started the cut with a dremel tool but found it difficult to freehand so I used an exacto knife with a saw blade you can find at a hobby shop. The only down side was taping the plastic piece back in place had to be redone every few months because of the heat and the weight of the blend door resting on it. I got rid of the car before I could make a more permanent fix. I also recommend removing the passenger seat. I too admire your attempt to remove the dash and heater box. hope this helps
It's good enough for now. Once I figure out how to drain my ac system I'll actually do it permanently, alone with a coolant flush and probably replacing the heater core while I'm in there. At least I have cool air in this hot and humid weather

Back