1997 radio cassette player upgrade problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 radio cassette player upgrade problems

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

oblivionboyj

Reaction score
City, State
Drumore, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hello all :)

I am replacing the stock radio cassette player that I have endured all these years.
The new stereo has the standard wiring that commercial stereos use now.
I found a harness connector to use the stock power and ground harness.
I was unable to use the stock speaker harness as pinned, and have to cut the neccesary wires and splice them to my new stereo harness.
The wiring diagram I found to use the stock speakers is found here (pinout chart C256- 16 pin connector)... http://www.justanswer.com/ford/14xhu-need-wiring-diagram-1996-ford-explorer-radio.html
The above diagram is right for the installation in my truck.

So now that the truck is wired the stereo powers on, shows station reception, but does not hold memory or create sound at the speakers.
What am I missing here in my rewire?
Is there an amp I am not powering that is in the stock system?
As for the memory, I am sure I will just tap into the 12 volt lighter connector on the trim panel for the stereo (it is not switched to the ignition).

I just did a head unit replacement on my 97...you will need to bypass the stock amp in the rear of the truck.

I would prefer to simply run the head unit in series with the stock amp unit if I knew which wire powered it.
I believe it is the wire marked ASYS in the drwaing I linked.
It should just need a command current (such as the one that comes out of the amp on wire in the head unit- 12 volts 0.4 ohms).
That is what I would like some confirmation on; that the ASYS is the command wire to turn on the amp unit.

Short of that, where is the amp located in the turck?
Any wiring diagram for the amp?

UPDATE...
Found it!
The ASYS ON is the wire to turn the stock amp on!
Post numner 2 :)

I will report results of this after I ger time to make the connection.

Back