1997 rear liftgate won't open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 rear liftgate won't open

okii

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
I've searched the forums and found a number of threads regarding problems with the rear liftgates on 98 explorers, but I couldn't seem to find any posts regarding a 1997 explorer liftgate. Basically I cannot get the gate or window to open (unlock?). When I put the key in, I don't believe the handle, door or window, can be rotated fully. The electronic door release does not work as well. It's like the locking mechanism is frozen. How can I release the lock to get the rear gate open? What could be causing the lock or handle(?) to freeze up? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 is tough to unlock at times as well. Use the key, put some force behind it but be carefull not to break the key off. It should unlock. Once you get it unlocked, pry the interior pannel off and lube up the lock assy. You should also spray some lube into the key cylinder and let it soak before you force the key.

Are you sure the door doesn't unlock either? Does the handle turn but just nothing happens? There are these little yellow and white plastic clips in each door that tend to break. I broke one in my mountaineer, and two in my old explorer. I think they're about $5 or less from the dealer, and pretty straightforward to replace, just in tight spots. Take off the interior panel and try to figure out what's the problem.

The rear hatch on the '97 does not have an electronic release if you're talking about the spin-handle on the hatch. It has a fork on the other side of the handle that manually moves the mechanism to unlock either the door or the window. The handle itself isn't attached to any mechanism, it bumps up against them when turned and moves the mechanisms. If you turn the handle and nothing happens, and spins freely, the forks are most likely broken off. Pull your rear trim, and replace the handle with a junkyard unit for hours of new door unlocking fun. :)

1997 liftgate won't open

I've cranked on the key to unlock to no avail. I've also tried to turn the liftgate handle as much as possible. The handle barely turns. It does not spin.

I am having a similar problem with the rear passenger door. It will not unlock with the key, electronic pad, or from the inside door release.

Is removal of the inner panels, door and liftgate, fairly easy? Some posters complain about breaking retaining clips or tearing something (door lining?). Are there any posts or sites that show where the clips are located and how to remove the panels. More importantly, are there any diagrams of the door latch mechanisms (passenger door and gatelift)available here or elsewhere for free.

Thanks

If it doesn't spin, it's shot- you'll need a replacement. Junkyard is good, or you can get a new one from LMC truck for like $69 or so.

To remove your rear trim:

1. Remove the two screws holding the pull handle to the inside of the hatch.
2. Pop the plastic cover that is on the top of the inside hatch trim by the bottom of the rear glass striker assembly, there is a screw in there. Remove that screw.
3. Pull the christmas tree pushpins from around the top carefully.
4. SLIDE the entire trim panel towards the front of the truck when the hatch is fully open. It has little "L" shaped holders that hold it to the hatch on the bottom. If you try to pull it off like a door trim panel, you will snap them.

Here is a pic of the clips- this is looking at the inside of a '99 panel, but the clips are also on your '97.

Mar08_0005.jpg

Be careful with handling the rear trim panel- for some reason, Ford has made it out of very brittle plastic compared to the rest of the trim pieces.

Back