1997 to 1993 frame swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 to 1993 frame swap.

Hi im new to this forum and have a question. I have a '97 explorer 4d xlt with a 4.0 ohv and auto tranny with 240,000+ miles, besides the tranny issues im having (been searching for answers for tranny) its a great truck but i hate the fact that the suspension is limited on lifts you can get for it so i was wondering how different are the frames between a '97 and a '93 with the TTB? Has anyone done this swap before and how hard would it be. I use to have a '92 with about 8inches of lift on it and loved it. With my '97 i dont want to go no bigger then 33" cause its kinda a family rig. I love the TTB but dont like the IFS.

Thanks for the link, according to the build the only differences is the front body frame mounts, but thats almost exactly what i want to do besides the SAS, I just like the TTB alot for some reason. I also like the idea of using the gas tank from an e150 so theres room for the full size transfercase. I just need to fix the tranny issues first before i go head first into the build.

Yep easy easy and TTB will work fine.

Im not that much into rock crawling but i love how much flex u can get out of a TTB, cause where im at in oregon there is alot of hills and odd shaped trails and you need flex to go through the trails, and 33" with 6" lift will be perfect. so bronco2guy, how hard was it to mod the frame around the front mounts and the radiator to fit the 2nd gen body.

Back