1997 V6 SOHC - replace thermostat help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 V6 SOHC - replace thermostat help

red97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 4x4 SOHC
The other day I noticed a small antifreeze/water leak on my garage floor under where the Explorer is parked. I popped the hood and noticed that there was some dried/crusted antifreeze around where the thermostat housing pieces connect. After my next spin in the truck, I popped the hood and noticed that T-stat housing was wet at the seam.

I purchased a new T-stat and O-ring from AutoZone, but can't for the life of me get the old T-stat out!! I have disconnected the air duct from the throttle body. I removed all 3 t-stat housing screws. I disconnected the hose at the upper end of the upper T-stat housing, but it is wedged in between all of the parts and I can't get it out. And there isn't enough room to raise/remove the T-stat housing thanks to the alternator lines and upper intake! What a P.I.T.A.!!!

Has anyone else had this much difficulty replacing a thermostat? It seems like it would be most helpful if the upper intake was out of the way. Is it fairly easy to remove and re-install?

Also, do you think it is the T-stat/O-ring that is causing the leak or that it would be the housing? Anyone know how much the housing would cost to replace?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the accelerator control splash shield, the air intake hose, and the upper radiator hose, then remove the three screws from the housing, and the housing splits in half. You can do it without removing the upper radiator hose and without draining it, but it's gonna make a mess, that's all.

Once all three screws are out, it's just a matter of popping the housing open. If it's stuck, use a large pair of channel locks to gently grasp the housing and rock it back and forth. It'll come eventually.

I suspect that the o-ring split, causing the leak... Either that, or a previous owner removed it, didn't have an o-rin, and globbed it full of Permatex (which would explain the tight fit).

Let us know what you find!

-Joe

I had to replace mine a few months ago, and the o-ring leaked, I saved it the first time, this time it leaked.

I did not remove the radiator hose either time when I accessed it. Leave the upper radiator hose on the top half. It is a tight fit, but the hose and housing together are easy to get hold of. Lift/pry the housing up and off to the left side, at an angle. You will eventually by pulling it with left hand, be able to dig out the thermostat with the right hand. I scraped the back side of my right hand slightly against the EGR or intake there. It's no big deal, and no sealant is needed. The OEM seal is square, the seals which parts stores sell is an o-ring(section shape). Good luck,

I hope you have better luck with this that I did after I got mine. 3 trips back and forth to "Local" NAPA (28 miles roud trip). got home the first time with both the wrong thermo and cap... then back to get the right one's.. get home.. wrong seals... I was thrilled...

Back