1997 V8 AWD driving at 65 @ 2000 rpm - remove foot from gas and slows too rapidly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 V8 AWD driving at 65 @ 2000 rpm - remove foot from gas and slows too rapidly?

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Road is flat. In 4 seconds down to 60 mpth. It almost feels like I had the brake on lightly or I was dragging along 1000 lbs of cargo...Vehicle doesn't glide along. At 60mph and 70mph the deceleration is slower and feels more normal.

Now I had 200 miles to test this but didn;t notice until the last 50 miles of my trip where I was in NJ with traffic so not alot of opportunity to test things.

I hope people can see if they experience similar numbers in their V8 AWD explorers!
And thoughts on cause are always appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try the roll test, with truck in N and on a hill, will it roll easily?
On flat ground with truck in N and NOT RUNNING can you push it easily?

You are looking for dragging brakes, bad wheel bearing, anything that will cause it to drag or stop on its own.

Or someone secretly swapped a Tesla into your Ex! LOL The regenerative braking on those feels exactly what you're describing with your Ex!

I have an 03 XLT AWD and my truck is very similar to yours. I assume that because it is AWD that it simply doesn't glide or coast to good unless you are on the gas. Not sure if this helps or I just have the same problem.

thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, this is bad at 65 but not as bad at 60 or 70. what could explain that?

Only one thing I can think of could even come close to explaining something like this

Your torque converter in the transmission is controlled by the computer
It locks up the converter to act like an overdrive (lock up means 1:1, no slipping)
the computer tells the solenoid inside the transmission to open (TCC) and this allows fluid to pressurize /fill the converter thus locking it to the engine at a 1:1 ratio

however this should not cause rapid de acceleration

Try the same thing with your OD off and see what you think. Same results?
With the OD off the torque converter will not lock up

At least this is my understanding of how it works! Somebody will correct me if I am off a little

My $$ is on the AWD. Remove the front drive shaft, and test it. You should notice it "Coasts" easier.

If you do not replace the front driveshaft right away after testing, chock the wheels when parked, or it will roll away slowly.

If no change, then I would be looking at the calipers. Sometimes they do not open/close as they should, and hang up on the slide pins.
From there back off the E-brake pads with the star wheel, test drive, then adjust. (some are self adjusting)

Back