1997 vs 2000 5.0 Exhaust Downpipes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 vs 2000 5.0 Exhaust Downpipes

keithczar81

Reaction score
City, State
Poughkeepsie NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Whats up everyone, Im looking at buying another 2000 EB with a 5.0 in it. The down pipes are toast and the cats leak. Im trying to figure out how I could repair it for the least amount of money yet be emissions legal since i'm in NY. I came across the downpipes for a 96-97 5.0 and they are well over 100 bucks cheaper each. I understand they have one primary cat instead of 2 on each bank. I was going to have a custom exhaust made for for it so as far as where the pipes terminate at the back of the down pipe thats irrelevant since they would be reflanged to meet up with the exhaust.

So I guess the big question is can the older pipes be utilized and fit on the newer motor...physically it should be the same I would think. If I had to drop 600+ just to get to the point of doing the exhaust with the newer cats i probably wouldnt bother since it needs some other odds and ends and it has 200k on it.

Thanks in advance.

Do you still have to pass emissions in New York? I love in Massachusetts I have an 01 no longer have to pass. But definitely as a exhaust shop to do some work for you.

I've been looking at pictures online and it seems like the pipes would wrap around the motor and frame with no issue. Then I could have my exhaust guy cut the stock flanges off and run pipe to a muffler and out the side in front of the tire.

If anyone else has done this please chime in.

Back