• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1997 with 95 ecu?

97 Expy 302

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Working on the engine to get all the smog gear working right and I started wondering if an earlier ecu from an obd 1 explorer would work and would it allow me to cut out a lot of the extra smog gear in my explorer. Any experience or advice? I found the older computers were much cheaper than the 89-93 mustang computers.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Don't know but wouldn't the cost of a used one at a junk yard be pretty close to the same for either generation?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
OBD1 is 60 pin, and the connectors are 2 wire.

OBDII is 120 pin and most connectors are 3 wire.

You would have to not only change out all the wire harness, but also some engine parts, some modules, gauge cluster, ignition system, fuel delivery system, ABS/speedo system, and then there is the transmission to deal with.

So I would say no, won't work.

97 Expy 302

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Got it. I was hoping for something easier but it looks like I need to get the stock smog gear replaced and working. Thanks

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I doubt this would work. I've seen ECU differences w/in the same model year. Besides, why go backwards to ODB I even if it would be plug-and-play.