• Register Today It's free!

1997 x 4x4 to 2wd

rwr82

Reaction score
City, State
Dixon, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
I have a 1997 x that is 4x4. I would like to make this my project vehicle and swap it to 2wd and do some other stuff to it. My question is what changes do I have to do to the frame to make it 2wd with out the front axle staying there and resembling a 2wd frame. Or the other idea that I had was using a ranger 2wd frame. Would I need a frame from an extended cab or what. How much mods would I have to do to use the ranger frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i'm not getting your question or where you are going with this...would it not be possible to remove your front drive shaft and call it a 2wd.???...if you are thinking desertrunner, you can have your front axle arms cut and turned...

if you are thinking desertrunner, you can have your front axle arms cut and turned...

Not on a '97.

...thanks mounty, he thru me with the ranger stuff...:eek:

I want this to be 2wd but I dont want to buy a 2wd explorer because I have this one already. Would a ranger frame work with this and what kind of mods would I have to do to make them fit together.

Why do you want it to be 2wd so badly that you are willing to swap frames? Thats a big project, and it makes much more sense to me to just sell the 4x4 and get a 4x2. If you simply want it to be strictly 2wd during daily driving, you can research the brown wire mod. But if you were talking about the 2wd rangers with coil springs, that is a different story...

You can make it 2WD by simply removing the front 4WD parts and using 2WD spindles and rotors. This leaves you with the transfer case to swap out or disable(brown wire mod etc.) Someone here just asked about swapping to 4WD, find them and swap your parts. Good luck,

First the question you have to answer is why do you want 2wd?? From there we can help you better with what you should ot shouldnt do.

The only ranger model front end that will work with an explorer is the ranger edge model. It has the torsion bar front end, the other have coil springs.

Try this link to someone who has a Sport Trac that wants to go to 4WD. You cannot use his transmission, but most of the rest will work. Regards,

FYI, the link below, EF doesn't play nice with other forums, I have added to decimals before the ".com", copy the link, paste above, and remove them before hitting go.

http://forums.*********...com/index.php?showtopic=12604&st=0&gopid=203190&#entry203190

Ok this is the plan. First of all I want to change this to 2 wheel drive. Second I want to swap out the 4.0 SOHC motor and put in a 351W stroked out to a 393 with twin turbo. Then it will be alot of custom work on the interior and body. This is a project that will probably take a couple years this is just the plans that I have had for this ex since I bought it.

With planning for a transmission change already, making it 2WD is very simple. You will be basically removing the front drive parts, and swapping the spindles to 2WD spindles. You will need a 95-97 GEM module from a 2WD Explorer. Check out that reference to someone with a 2WD Sport Trac, those have 12" rotors on those 2WD spindles. He can't use much of yours but maybe the few that he can would be good for you both. Good luck,

FYI, please skip the 351W idea, the space is too tight for the AC box, and you would have to fabricate headers. Plus the fact that a 302 based engine can make more power than needed. With turbos, done right, you can easily see over 600hp, for far less money than the 351W.

Back