• Register Today It's free!

1997 XLT Air bag reset HELP!

goober4321

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have the dreaded AB code 52 after I changed the battery. I have searched and cannot find the 2 pin diagnostic connector.

Can someone please help me find it, so I can reset this light

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. If this issue occured when you replaced the battery, then it make sense to disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes or more, then reconnect the battery to reset it.

Actually after I changed the battery and both front impact sensors.......need this light off.

Anyone.???????

Cannot find the 2 pin air bag diagnostic connector.

OMG........I cannot believe that out of 67 reads......no one knows anything????

Chill Dude, BRB.

Sorry for the hasty reply....but I really need this thing off.......I have to run it in for a safety check and cant have that light on or flashing.

Keep in mind I have replaced both front impact sensors and had the battery unhooked.................

So its just a nagging code 52

There's a 10 A fuse, #4 in the battery junction box and a 7.5A mini, #6, in the central junction box. Checked them? The RCM is just not getting any/proper power/voltage. Your battery does have a full charge?

There's no 2-pin air bag diagnostic connector....... that I know of.

From the manual:
LFC 12/52/DTC B1867 — Lost Battery Feed or Low Battery Feed Voltage

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) measures the voltage at C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), of the air bag diagnostic monitor connector. Voltage at C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), should be equal to battery voltage. If the voltage at C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), drops to less than 8 volts, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 12 on the air bag indicator. If the voltage at C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), drops to less than 5 volts, the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1867 will also be stored in memory. Should the loss of battery voltage at C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), be intermittent or repaired, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash a LFC 52 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the next ignition switch cycle.

Possible Causes

WARNING: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR THE 10A MINI FUSE 4. ANY FUSE OTHER THAN 10A MAY CAUSE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE 10A MINI FUSE 4 UNLESS THE AIR BAG SYSTEM FIRST HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED. (REFER TO THE DEACTIVATION PROCEDURE IN THIS SECTION).

Deactivation Procedure
WARNING: THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT REPAIR IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301); refer to Section 414-01 .
Wait one minute for the backup power supply in the air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) to deplete its stored energy.

NOTE: If a short to ground exists on any of circuits 607 (LB/O), 614 (GY/O), 615 (GY/W), or 616 (PK/BK), leading to a LFC 13 or 53 and DTC B1913 or similarly a short to ground exists on any of circuits 617 (PK/O), 619 (PK/W), 624 (Y/W) or 625 (Y/LG) leading to a LFC 14 or 54 and DTC B1914 the air bag diagnostic monitor will activate an internal solid state switch at C232-13 of the air bag diagnostic monitor. This causes the mini fuse 4 (10A) to fail, thus disarming the air bag system and preventing inadvertent air bag deployment. If the power distribution box mini fuse 4 has blown, it must be replaced by a 10A fuse.

Low voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W) can be caused by:

An open in the battery circuit that would prevent battery positive voltage (B+) from reaching the air bag diagnostic monitor C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W).
A short to ground on the battery feed circuit between the mini fuse 4 (10A) and C232-13, circuit 937 (R/W), or C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), of the air bag diagnostic monitor.
A concern in the charging system causing battery voltage to drop below 8 volts.
After the air bag diagnostic monitor has disarmed the air bag system, it will not be enabled to disarm again until the appropriate condition (DTC B1913 or B1914) has been repaired and cleared by performing the appropriate pinpoint tests.

ALWAYS STAY CLEAR OF THE AIR BAGS WHEN REPOWERING THE SYSTEM AND STARTING THE VEHICLE THE FIRST TIME AFTERWARDS!!

OK thanks and here is what I found........

Both fuses are ok.......but the 10MAP fuse in position 4 is actually a 20AMP in my box......not sure what is going on there.

Secondly you said you do not know of any 2 pin diagnostic connector.............
In your post write up, here is the first paragraph..........

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) measures the voltage at C232-14, circuit 937 (R/W), of the air bag diagnostic monitor connector.

The last line says a mention of a connector where the R/W wire is.

So I am not sure what is up now. The battery is up and the voltage across the terminals running is 14.4V. So alternator is charging ok.......

Help I am getting a headache!

The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) is what is now referred to as a RCM, Restraints Crash Module. It's the crash module not a connector of some sort.

Ah, there's another fuse, 7.5A in #15 central junction box.

Here is the schematic if it will help you any. You will see the red/white wire from the Battery Distribution Box fuse(upper left)

97EXSRS1.gif

97EXSRS2.gif

Is that the module down under the right kick panel?

Is that the module down under the right kick panel?

Yes it is.

Here is the connector pin-out for you to check for power/ground. Make SURE the front sensors are mounted clean and grounded well.

97EXSRSC232.jpg

Back