1998 4.0 XLT missing front drive shaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0 XLT missing front drive shaft

zef

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hi

I recently bought a '98 4.0 XLT as a project vehicle.
The engine seems to be in pretty decent shape, and it runs fine.
190,000 miles

I spent the past few days replacing all the fluids and shocks.

While replacing the front diff fluid I couldn't help but notice that the front drive shaft was missing. And shortly afterwards I found the front diff to be dry.

The few times I've driven the truck it seemed to ride ok, but it does make groaning noises in slow, sharp turns. Haven't taken it out since the fluid replacement .

Why would someone remove the front drive shaft?

I figure fixing this will involve more than just installing a new drive shaft?

From the looks of it the drive shaft has been absent for a very long time (surface rust seems pretty homologous on the diff and transfer case interfaces). If I keep driving it like this, what would happen?

Thanks
Zef

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and that sounds almost the same as my new 98 this year. My 98 AWD 302 Limited was owned by a girl who had the driveshaft removed about seven years ago, due to grinding etc. She didn't do proper maintenance, and I found the front diff to be virtually empty(bad right axle seal leak).

Likely my truck had had mismatched tires on it, which will create binding of the transfer case, and kill the viscous clutch soon after. Your V6 has an automatic TC, and internal clutch like the AC clutch. For whatever reason they pulled the driveshaft, your front diff is likely hurt from lack of fluid. Yours might have simply had mismatched tires, and the TC might still be okay. But you will have to install a front driveshaft to find out.

I have two other similar trucks, so I swapped in the front diff, axles and hubs, plus driveshaft and new fluids. I think my AWD TC is okay so far, after 3000 miles.

The bearings of the front carrier don't do well with low fluid, I'd bet yours are all in sad shape. It would be easier to replace it, if you can find a good used one that was taken care of well.

Thanks so much for the reply Don.

I left out one imporant detail: It's the 4wd.
From what I've read that means I should be ok without the front drive shaft, and living in AZ I rarely/ever need 4wd.

My plan is to keep driving it like this, but keep an eye open for replacement parts, with the front axle being first priority.

Thanks so much for the reply Don.

I left out one imporant detail: It's the 4wd.
From what I've read that means I should be ok without the front drive shaft, and living in AZ I rarely/ever need 4wd.

My plan is to keep driving it like this, but keep an eye open for replacement parts, with the front axle being first priority.

98 should be auto 4wd. Not true 2wd when not engaged into 4x4

Your truck should drive okay as long as the front hubs and axles are good. Given the mileage you have on that truck, buying new axles and hubs would be a wise thing to do. You have to R&R those parts, and since I just bought those for my truck, I know the cost is reasonable now.

I'm expecting the axles from Rock Auto by Wednesday, and the Moog hubs I think I got from Amazon. I'm assuming the parts from my just bought truck are old or bad, so I won't reuse them.

BTW, when you get a front drive shaft, I'd hunt the cheapest one you can for a V6 98-01 Explorer. The two joints at the end are serviceable, and you would do well to replace them. I just discovered that Detroit Axle makes the CV joint kit($50 from Amazon) for the rear of the shaft, and the front u-joint is about $12 or so from Rock Auto. I'm rebuilding my 99 V6 truck, the trans and SOHC timing chain parts. With 151k miles, it's time for servicing other parts too.

Hi

The few times I've driven the truck it seemed to ride ok, but it does make groaning noises in slow, sharp turns. Haven't taken it out since the fluid replacement .

Zef

This could be lack of limited slip additive in the rear diff.... just a guess.

This could be lack of limited slip additive in the rear diff.... just a guess.

I think that was it, the noise is gone after the fluid replacement and LS additive. :)

Back