1998 4 door Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4 door Explorer

Congrats. :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm keeping up with your YouTube videos
I can't wait to see the rest of the teardown and the fix keep up the good fun:)

This happened last Sunday (9-29-2019).
The transmission started shifting hard and slipping between shifts as I was driving.
After arriving at my destination I shut it off and when I came back to the truck and started it, the idle was around 2,000 RPM's.

Check Engine Light Picture.png

Check your trans fluid. I'm wondering if the fluid has broken down?

Oh it's also idling low? Sorry I missed that.

With the fluid full, does it pull evenly and properly with gentle throttle, in reverse also?

If there is a major fluid leak internally, the system will command maximum pressure from the EPC, which will throw the code for that, plus make all shifts harder.

Mine broke a part that ended up in the pan, the code was for the EPC over pressure, and it moved with a lot of slipping in both directions.

Could this be engine related iac tps

You could check the TPS voltage, if it's was way off it could affect shifting and idle etc, but I doubt the trans slip feeling being connected to it.

Here's the latest on the check engine light.
You wont believe what happened next.

Great, I'm glad it was an easy check and fix.

I have a check engine light on my 95 Crown Vic now, since the weekend. I just received a cheap OBDII scanner today, I hope it is that simple to fix on mine.

I wish all our explorer problems were this easy and cheap to fix. LOL
Check out what happened now.
Can you see what is broken?

IMG_4978.JPG

Time for new leaf springs. This it a great opportunity to upgrade :D

I look forward to your YouTube videos and threads keep it up
Btw. When I saw your green explorer it made me want to supercharge mine ...and I did lol...

Well, I installed two new leaf springs. Advance auto even had one in stock.
Did rear shocks too. This was all done back in October.
Flash forward to November and my Motorcraft (plastic) replacement thermostat housing started leaking.
I just replaced it using the Simons Autosports aluminum one, but I used an Austek upper outlet since they make it with the right angle for the 97-98 Explorers.
No leaks now and I'm still driving it with 312,000 miles. LOL

Hell yea

Last week I started seeing small coolant puddles under this truck.
When I opened the hood I saw coolant leaking from around the seems of the radiator, and around the internal transmission cooler fitting seems as well.
All on the drivers side of the radiator.
Yesterday, I installed a new radiator from Advance Auto. The radiator was a CARQUEST part and had the Spectre Name on the radiator itself.
The radiator support is rotted out pretty bad and laughed when I saw Advanced auto had one listed on the website right under the radiator and hoses. LOL
With all the other body rot I do not think it is worth it to replace at this time, even though the part was listed for an affordable 139.00.
I have about 313,000 miles on this truck. I don't drive 42 miles to work anymore since I changed jobs last November, so the miles grow slowly now.
Maybe this will be the year I replace this poor truck and let it rest in pieces.

You can get beginner level MIG or TIG welder with that 139$, that truck would be perfect practice piece.

:hammer:

It Died!
Was on my way home and almost made it there but all of a sudden the steering felt a little stiff.
As I looked down I saw all the lights on the dash lit up.
I put it in neutral and tried to crank it but it cranked real slow as if fighting compression.
Pulled to the side of the road and called AAA.
Tried to crank it again, and it cranked like there was no compression.
Got it home and it now sounds as if the crankshaft is just free wheeling. I assume one of the timing chains jumped.
Of course this happened after I started removing the engine from the race truck.
I guess this is motivation to get the race truck engine swapped, so I can get this 4 door in the garage and tear it apart.
And the mileage is....

IMG_7234.JPG

Sounds like fun to see you fix it :popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fun indeed but I am getting a little scared.
I'm down to 2 vehicles that are drivable, don't want to end up with all 4 broke down at the same time. LOL
Quite a few years ago I had three and they all broke down at the same time. Timing belt(1988 Dodge Caravan), dead battery(1994 Ford Thunderbird), and master cylinder(1988 S10 Blazer). I drove the blazer to get parts for all three and started at them. Finished the last one at like 3:00 am the next morning. Went to my girlfriend's(at the time) house later that morning and we broke up. And did I mention my TV broke at the same time?
LOL, it was definitely a trial.
I'm feeling much better now. LOL

Back