• Register Today It's free!

1998 4x4, stuck front rotor

jrork

Reaction score
City, State
Silverdale WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi folks,
I'm helping my daughter with her 98 explorer sport and can't seen to get the passenger side rotor off.

Caliper is off.
Caliper bracket is off
Axle shaft nut is off and I can push in on the axle shaft so I know it's not hanging up.
I soaked the wheel studs where they pass thru the rotor in PB blaster. Nuthin
Hitting around the rotor with my plastic deadblow sledge has not budged it.

Any ideas or something I'm missing? (very accomplish chevy mechanic but unfamilair with her explorer).

Thanks everybody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never mind. I found a thread where others have fought this too. I'll just keep soaking and with luck it'll pop off soon.......

I had the problem with my 96 when I went to replace the wheel bearing and had to beat the snot out of it.

put the axle nut back on, that doesnt need to come off.
Spray right at the holes where the studs come out with penertrating spray, go have a beer or a smoke come back start hammering, if your putting new ones on then you can beat the hell out of these ones.
Hammer right around the whole outside it wil just fall off.

My 97 f150 had the front rotor stuck on the truck. Us three guys hammered away at her for an hour straight with a 15 pound sledge hammer. Finally broke free once we heated the rotor up wlth a torch and swung the hammer a few more times. Rotors can be a real pain in the butt. Good luck!

Got it. Lots of PB Blaster and beating on it with a deadblow hammer got it. I took the axle nut off as I was/did replace the Lower Ball joint.

Thanks everyone. No more squeeking front end on the daughters car. :D

Back