1998 5.0 front driveshaft hardware sizes needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 5.0 front driveshaft hardware sizes needed

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Well. After a solid launch I broke the CV on my front driveshaft. I am hours from home, and need to know what size Torx holds the front shaft on. I’m sure I can dig up the 8mm for the CV side in the Mounty somewhere, but I’m not sure I have any Torx bits that will be good enough to remove the ones on there now.

Anyone know what size they are? T25?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the road in Ohio. South of Cleveland. I heard some light clinking noises yesterday, and then I sheared something off inside. In drive and not moving the shaft spins inside the CV. Awesome.

Thanks a bunch. Off to get a T30. I also think I have the global market corner on 9mm sockets. I found no less than 8 of them in my bags.

I’ve got my lucky 12 inch breaker bar. Failing that, I’ve got my power inverter and 4 inch grinder. It’s coming off. I’m kinda salty. This shaft has on 40k since being rebuilt with the “good” stuff.

On a positive note. Plenty clean under here.

image.jpg

And done. Should have tried pulling the Torx out with my impact drill. :/

Back