1998 AWD front end vibration problem (driveshaft?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 AWD front end vibration problem (driveshaft?)

jimval1

Reaction score
City, State
connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD 5.0L
Hi,
Been having a bad vibration in my explorer. It happens ONLY when I let off the gas a little and feather it (trying to maintain speed). Under acceleration - no vibration. Foot completely off the gas - no vibration. It happens at 60 mph and over. The faster the speed, the worse the vibration gets (when feathering the gas). Not being able to figure it out I finally took it to a Ford dealer. They told me I needed u-joints on the front and rear drive shafts. They changed the rear driveshaft u-joints ($228) but didn't do the front ones because they said I needed to buy the whole new driveshaft ($600). I took the vehicle home and did some investigating. Couldn't find a rebuilt one anywhere. I found this place called Rockford driveline. (www.rockforddriveline.com) They manufacture new driveshafts. Supposedly a new better design, or you can buy the original design (u-joint one end, CV joint the other end). I bought one for $313. Brand new shaft, original design. I installed it last night and now the vibration is worse. It happens at all speeds but only when I let off the gas. I'm thinking the new drive shaft is either out of balance or manufactured with too much runout. Anyone have this type of experience? Putting in a new shaft and the problem got worse? Any experience with Rockford Driveline? Help!!!

P.S. The old CV joint boot was split and the CV joint had seemed to be worn some.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any sloppiness in the CV joint means vibration. CV joints cannot be rebuilt, so you have to get the new driveshaft. 95% of the time the front driveshaft on the awd is the culprit when you got a vibration.

The front driveshaft price at Ford for my 99 is 245.00. Labors extra of course.

I think I would return the driveshaft you got and put in the Ford one. I have had two bad experiences with after market driveshafts..... does not mean they cannot get it right, but in my experience, if it starts bad, it stays bad. The other reason to go Ford is that if the vibration is NOT the driveshaft ( small possibility, but it is possible) and you take it to Ford with an aftermarket driveshaft, they will just tell you its the driveshaft, and won't work on it till you put in the Ford driveshaft!

While you have the front driveshaft off, drive the truck up to a speed where you get the vibration and see if it is still there. If so, you have another problem. You can drive the awd without the front driveshft for a little while without the front shaft, just don't leave it that way.

ok thanks. I'll try driving it without the driveshaft. Called Rockford Driveline and they are sending me out a new shaft today.

The price of a new shaft from Ford for my vehicle was $576.00 and an hour of labor for a total bill of about $700. Sounded like way too much for basically a worn out cv joint on the end of the drive shaft.

That price from Ford is not right. Try a couple of on line Ford parts places while you are waiting for your new shaft. Search for Ford truck parts or Ford auto parts. Rockauto.com comes to mind. Good place to compare prices.

Good luck!

Update.... I had a local shop replace my front driveshaft with a FORD driveshaft last year and I'm still getting vibration. Just noticed today that when I turn on the 4WD AUTO on my '96 Limited the vibration was HORRIBLE. Is this shaft supposed to be indexed correctly to either mating ends to maintain balance? This is driving me nutz.

Back