1998 awd - troube with rear calipers and rotors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 awd - troube with rear calipers and rotors

awdriscol4

Reaction score
City, State
Chico, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I am attempting to replace the rear brake pads and rotors and am running into a few problems that someone here can hopefully help me with...

1. The rear pads were down to metal on metal and the rear caliper piston is fully extended. I cannot get it to compress back in at all. I am using a C-Clap on it and have the bleeder valve open. Some brake fluid (very little) comes out, but I cannot get the piston to compress back in at all.

Any suggestions?

2. The rear rotor seems to be impossibly stuck onto the hub. I've tried using penetrating spray, and I've tried banging on it with a BFH. No luck.

How can I get this stupid rear rotor off? ( and yes, the caliper is off :) )

Thanks in advance!!

hit it harder on the hub part, or go behind it and hit it very hard. Your buying a new rotor anywyas so give it hell. I found a brass hammer will get the job done with one big blow.

hit it harder on the hub part, or go behind it and hit it very hard. Your buying a new rotor anywyas so give it hell. I found a brass hammer will get the job done with one big blow.

Hahaha....woot, ok rotor is off....guess I was just to scared to really hit it....one hard hit and it came right off...

All problems are now fixed...

Thanks

Hopefully you replaced the E- brake shoes while you were there :)

Back