1998 Buick Century - How do I disable DRL and auto headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Buick Century - How do I disable DRL and auto headlights?

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
Well, pretty much what the title says. I'm looking for a quick and clean way to permanently disable (completely) both the D.R.L. (daytime running lights), as well as the auto headlight functions on a 1998 Buick Century.

I don't care about being able to easily reverse the process. I do care about this not affecting any other vehicle functions. I do not want any warning lights to be on, or any thing else to not work. What I want is for the vehicle's exterior lights to never, ever come on in any way shape or form, unless I have turned them on via the manual pull switch, and I want them to immediately turn off when I turn off the switch. As a side note, I wouldn't mind losing the delay on the interior lights turning off after the doors are closed. It drives me nuts, as I have to stand there and wait for them to go off before I walk away from the car.
Thanks

bump

If you want to disable the DRLs but not the automatic headlights, unplug the voltage reducing diode in the DRL circuit. It is a large, finned object located on the outer wall on the left side under the dash. It is visible through the small access panel the you can see when the driver's door is open. If you unplug this diode, you will turn off the DRLs and not affect anything else. If you do not wish to have the automatic headlamps or DRLs active, simply pull the appropriate fuse in the fuse block located to the right of the glove box. Remember, though, that you may be eligible for a discount on your insurance premium for having and using DRLs and they are meant as a safety feature so that other drivers will see you more easily.

Seems as though the DRLs and auto lamps are integrated with the main ecu. You'll need to find a dealer willing to Tech II it out. Or find an indy with the proper Buick security access to do so. No easy way here.

BTW- Welcome to owning a GM. It's a blast!

Back