1998 EB Explorer 4x4 Transmission / Torque Problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 EB Explorer 4x4 Transmission / Torque Problems?

oh2ranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger
1998 Explorer 4x4, 5r55e, 180K miles, Owned for the last 20k

Repost sorry, didn't see the "transmission" section of the forum.

Truck is having trouble engaging from a stop in both Drive and Reverse. It will start eventually, however it makes a "clunk" sound before fully engaging. Fluid level is High and pink, (about where the dipstick starts to twist). I have never done any servicing to the transmission (filter/fluid changes) nor have added any fluid at all. Engine revs and rolls as if it were in neutral until it engages. After it has engaged, the transmission shifts well, no noticeable slipping in-between gears. The problem seems to be isolated to starting from a stop right now. If you left off the brake on an even plane there is no inertia to move the truck in either directions (forward/reverse)

I have read that torque converter seals commonly go bad? Could this explain the high volume of fluid / reason it is showing so high on dipstick? also causing torque converter malfunction?

Filter? Fluid? Where to start?

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5R55E has a low/reverse servo near the back of the trans. A hesitation when shifting to reverse is a common symptom of trouble here. Search hesitation shifting to reverse. Also, read the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary (a sticky in the transmission forum).

I will investigate that as soon as I get the opportunity. Would that effect the forward gears as well? What about the fluid level?

Thank You

No, the foreward gears use other hydrolic and electrical controls. What type of foreward gear problems are you having. Shift flair? Maybe its time for a complete valve body rebuild.

Back