• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 4x4 leaf springs

dawgtaggz

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4x4
My explorer's leaf spring is much lower on my drivers side. First question is: Does this year explorer normally only have 1 leaf per side with 4 spacers(almost like a block). And if that's true, is there a way to fix the sag?

Another questions - Does the leaf spring set from a 95 explorer fit a 98 explorer. and the 95 is a 4door, the 98 is a 2 door.

Thanks in advance

Yes, most explorer leafs fit the sport.

Try new front and rear sway bar end links and new swaybar bushings on the rear axle. you need them anyway. do this first.

Then, adjust the torsion bars so the front lower control arm bolts are level side to side.
When adjusting torsion bars, do it with the vehicle raised off the ground, , give the t bar bolts a turn if you have to go up on that side, then lower the truck back down. drive the vehicle over a curb a few times to settle the bars, and recheck height. repeat until you get a good side to side measurement.
Now see how far it leans.

You have the mono-leaf setup. You can replace them with standard 4-door leaf packs. It will ride firmer, carry more weight, and sway less.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll give the switch a try as soon as I get a free second

Back