1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Did you notice that the V8 jumps off the line very well? It's has a lot more grunt than the 4.0 V6's, I believe that torque converter is one of the best Ford has ever used behind a 302.

When I fixed my throttle cable bracket last week, I definitely could feel the difference on initial pedal pressure. My bracket was weak/loose enough that the power had become softer, and I hadn't really noticed it. The V6 of my 99's, the SOHC, it feels faster up at speed, due to the better close ratio 5-speed. But the 5.0 gets a fast head start in the first 60 feet, and the V6 tries to catch up.
Yeah, it's pretty snappy off the line for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do need to replace the shocks. The current ones aren't totally terrible, but I can tell they aren't up to the job for the long term.

I suggest Rancho shocks at this point, I haven't been thrilled with about three of the other big brands. I did like the Edelbrock and Bilstein shocks, but I paid more for those and wanted them for lowering and handling($65ish each or more). I have a front pair right now that I think are KYB, and they sucked after less than a year.

I have a pair of front Rancho shocks to put on my 98 soon, the rears have helper coil springs and I'm not sure what it needs there. My 98 is a Limited so it has the softest springs, and that may demand the helper shocks if the springs have sagged some.

I suggest Rancho shocks at this point, I haven't been thrilled with about three of the other big brands. I did like the Edelbrock and Bilstein shocks, but I paid more for those and wanted them for lowering and handling($65ish each or more). I have a front pair right now that I think are KYB, and they sucked after less than a year.

I have a pair of front Rancho shocks to put on my 98 soon, the rears have helper coil springs and I'm not sure what it needs there. My 98 is a Limited so it has the softest springs, and that may demand the helper shocks if the springs have sagged some.
I get wholesale pricing and the Rancho shocks are almost as much as Bilstein.

I paid about $54 each for the Rancho's two weeks ago, and when I got my Bilstein's fifteen years back, they were about $65 then. I have the Rancho's for my hard usage delivery job, tons of hard bumps etc. The Bilstein's are a solid shock great for on road, I'm not sure they would be as good for severe duty. I did deliver mail with my other 98 and the Bilstein's, they did fine for me for about a year.

If the price was similar, I'd opt for the Bilstein shock.

I just bought a pair of Bilstein struts for my Lincoln, please don't ask how much one of them was. :eek:

I paid about $54 each for the Rancho's two weeks ago, and when I got my Bilstein's fifteen years back, they were about $65 then. I have the Rancho's for my hard usage delivery job, tons of hard bumps etc. The Bilstein's are a solid shock great for on road, I'm not sure they would be as good for severe duty. I did deliver mail with my other 98 and the Bilstein's, they did fine for me for about a year.

If the price was similar, I'd opt for the Bilstein shock.

I just bought a pair of Bilstein struts for my Lincoln, please don't ask how much one of them was. :eek:
Have you found a replacement for the anti wrap shock for the rear other than Bilstein?

I haven't thought about replacing those in my last two 98's, the five Bilstein's I got for my Mercury were among the last when I was doing it all. I think I put a Monroe fifth shock in my 99 work truck, that shock is important but not as critical as the others.

I noticed Bilstein not listing a fifth shock on the sites I checked on last year, do they still have it available? I do remember that the fifth shock was very hard to install, the Bilstein was much stiffer than the Monroe. I had to get a serious leverage position to keep it compressed, while lining up the last bolt. I'm not sure it is supposed to be like a regular shock, so stiff in compression, and nothing the other way. It will push the truck to the right versus the diff, not noticeably though.

I haven't thought about replacing those in my last two 98's, the five Bilstein's I got for my Mercury were among the last when I was doing it all. I think I put a Monroe fifth shock in my 99 work truck, that shock is important but not as critical as the others.

I noticed Bilstein not listing a fifth shock on the sites I checked on last year, do they still have it available? I do remember that the fifth shock was very hard to install, the Bilstein was much stiffer than the Monroe. I had to get a serious leverage position to keep it compressed, while lining up the last bolt. I'm not sure it is supposed to be like a regular shock, so stiff in compression, and nothing the other way. It will push the truck to the right versus the diff, not noticeably though.
Yeah, bilstein still makes the shock. Autozone and rock auto sells it

Working on finishing up the interior currently. Getting closer. This EX is going to the daughter by Sunday..

Rear tailgate panel is on and done. door panels all on, but looking for a few of the correct screws...sigh. All ceiling lighting installed. One of the sockets on the front seat light doesn't work..hmm. Rear view mirror is wobbly, need to work that out. Few more things to go.

Rear tailgate panel is on and done. door panels all on, but looking for a few of the correct screws...sigh. All ceiling lighting installed. One of the sockets on the front seat light doesn't work..hmm. Rear view mirror is wobbly, need to work that out. Few more things to go.

The rear view mirror is a minor problem, it's held on by pressure and not by any set screw. I've had issues with all three of mine, my 99 I chose to put in a 91-94 windshield so I could use my 1993 mirror(has a set screw).

You have to push the mirror downward toward the bottom of the glass, carefully. It clips in, but pressure pushing it in and down tightens it. I have to adjust my mirror twice each day I work with it, to drive from the right seat, and then to go home, from the left seat. So mine gets loose somewhat often. I often use two hands when I can to carefully push it down evenly, I haven't made a mirror come off yet, so so far I haven't overdone it.

The rear view mirror is a minor problem, it's held on by pressure and not by any set screw. I've had issues with all three of mine, my 99 I chose to put in a 91-94 windshield so I could use my 1993 mirror(has a set screw).

You have to push the mirror downward toward the bottom of the glass, carefully. It clips in, but pressure pushing it in and down tightens it. I have to adjust my mirror twice each day I work with it, to drive from the right seat, and then to go home, from the left seat. So mine gets loose somewhat often. I often use two hands when I can to carefully push it down evenly, I haven't made a mirror come off yet, so so far I haven't overdone it.
I had a new windshield installed. My problem is that the mirror is installed, it just wobbles a bunch when you drive.

I had a new windshield installed. My problem is that the mirror is installed, it just wobbles a bunch when you drive.

Yes, it's not pushed on all the way fully. You have to push it on a little bit harder.

C6AD9AC1-D962-429A-876F-6D29FB010094.jpeg
8F0BCB31-9A85-417F-AE92-F1DADEA4F85A.jpeg 33BFAB9F-64B5-425E-A4CA-1F4124EBC202.jpeg ADAC1CAA-00D0-4660-923C-A8F5B12FCEEF.jpeg E8A86EE4-4F58-4734-A65A-B2451C46F9C2.jpeg 962C4347-2CC4-4891-878E-30573C476C6F.jpeg C5A3CE3D-A6FA-43B3-A56C-BE4368C97902.jpeg 94922DDF-30F7-43F7-9B7A-077E8A8A7FEF.jpeg 9E065C99-DB33-486B-8E43-9C2CFFBF9ED6.jpeg 125F41D8-D07A-48B9-B751-2D5AADD7ACF8.jpeg 05B0B247-F36E-41A1-8150-1CB51B02E18E.jpeg 68083705-6426-4523-9222-E336DA2DF7AC.jpeg 7673D650-4B5E-4635-8BB7-5F1510430EDF.jpeg A00A3E3E-1468-45DD-8022-6A220020D7EC.jpeg

Yes, it's not pushed on all the way fully. You have to push it on a little bit harder.
Ill take another look tomorrow but I don’t think thats the case on this. This has the autodim mirror. And it has all those plastic pieces that have to fit perfect to be on the windshield. All of that is in place nicely. But ill double check. Its dark out now.

The engine has plenty life left. It really gets up and goes. 80 mph comes really quickly..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill take another look tomorrow but I don’t think thats the case on this. This has the autodim mirror. And it has all those plastic pieces that have to fit perfect to be on the windshield. All of that is in place nicely. But ill double check. Its dark out now.
All four of mine have the heavy auto dimming mirror, my 99 I used my old 93 Limited to rebuild it, I liked that mirror a lot. My Mercury was the first I noticed the vibrating mirror, that was after delivering mail with it for six months or more in 2006. My last two 98 Limited's with the mirror I have had less trouble with, once I knew that they needed more effort, force, put into the mount with pushing it down more. It's not perfect but usually I can make them not vibrate much at all.

Back