1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll get the radio in and the center trim and that should be it for now. I'll let her drive for awhile then I'll service the trans and do a Jmod. Then do the rear diff service. Likely just change the wheel bearings and seals at the same time. Then it should be good for some time to come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll get the radio in and the center trim and that should be it for now. I'll let her drive for awhile then I'll service the trans and do a Jmod. Then do the rear diff service. Likely just change the wheel bearings and seals at the same time. Then it should be good for some time to come.

Plus the parking brake pads, while the axles are out. Adjust the pads very tight so the rotor will very snugly go back on. How tight you make that determines how well the parking brake works. Most people will tell you that they are very poor, the pads aren't adjusted snugly enough.

Plus the parking brake pads, while the axles are out. Adjust the pads very tight so the rotor will very snugly go back on. How tight you make that determines how well the parking brake works. Most people will tell you that they are very poor, the pads aren't adjusted snugly enough.
Yeah for sure. One of my customers has a 98 EX, I have to do his axle seals and bearings and the parking shoes are falling apart. 24 years is long enough...

The parking shoes used to be dirt cheap($15ish) from parts stores, their brands. Ford raised their price many years ago, so none of them are cheap. now. I'd still want the OEM though, as poor as the design works, we need the very best parts to get the most out of it. My last 98 those pads were gone, all I could see behind the axles are the backing plates. So I need to do those badly too, I've been parking sideways on hills for about two years now.

Junkyard. Its the actual ford rear mat. Think it has the part number on it..

Where did you get the mat in the rear?

668A85A2-E24E-44E4-9B98-D2D36D45CF12.jpeg

Excellent, that's the best result, most carpeting will come clean well.

What is the going rate these days for a front-end alignment on a Gen 2 Explorer?

Cost me $80 for a front end alignment

My place was $50 forever, but went up to about $70 two years ago.

Yesterday I installed the stereo. Glued the vents back into the trim face. The interior is done. I replaced the rear shocks the day before. Have a couple of small things left today a d my daughter is coming to take it home.

Well done again. Those bezels are fragile, good job to save another one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished the front shocks. I bought some autozone shocks cheap for front and rear. They're still leaps and bounds better than what was on there. I'm glad I didn't wait on that item.

Back