1998 Explorer Clunk on acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Clunk on acceleration

jmorse62

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
:exp:I have a 1998 Explorer XLT with about 250,000 miles on it. When I accelerate quickly there is a clunking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the vehicle. When I switch from "auto" to "4WD" the clunking noise is always present when the vehicle is moving. The sound is pretty loud, so I have just been babying it to avoid the noise.

I have read a lot of threads here and they all seem to lead to the transfer case, or CV axle.

How do I figure what is causing the noise? Any way to eliminate the transfer case or CV axle as the cause?

Thanks..
:usa:

I have a 98 XLT with the exact same problem....any help in diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. I disconnected the wiring to disable the transfer case because it got so bad, but I'm not really enjoying the nebraska winter without four wheel drive....

Could be front driveshaft problem, there should be alot of threads on this problem.

my first guess would be the cv-joint on the front driveshaft.

Since the issue is only noticeable on acceleration in 2WD, and always noticeable in 4WD, it would be my first guess.

Easy way to test? Well, depending on weather/road, remove the front driveshaft.

Back