• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer horn replacement

kmacpe

Reaction score
City, State
Wappingrs Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Sport
HORN is located on the driver side under the battery tray and fender.
Remove the battery tray and tire well cover to expose the horn. The original horn assembly has to horns (high pitch & low pitch) The horn is operated off 12V relay/fuse ckt. The original blue wire takes 12V from the relay to the horn. When the horn switch (under the air bag) in the steering wheel is pressed, it connects the gnd to energize the relay and 12V is then applied to the horn.
In my 1998 Explorer (Limited edition), both horns were bad and the blue wire connection was open (8M Ohms) from the relay terminal (relay 7 in the fuse box) to the horn connector. When the horn switch was depressed, 6V was at the horn connector. Attached a new wire directly from the horn relay terminal to the new horn connector. Add a gnd wire from the horn to the car chassis.
When mounting the new horn, do not attach the horn directly to the car body. This would muffle the horn. Use the bar supplied with the new horn to mount the new horn to car body.

old thread but i am getting only high pitch on 2010 explorer xlt. as a boater who has replaced horns more than a couple times i am kind of familiar. ? is no problem with high note would that lead to electrical, switch, or horn itself or wiring connection at the horn????? hopefully this bumps this to the top

Back