1998 explorer keyless entry pad add on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer keyless entry pad add on

Oxander

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4 4.0L 5speed
I bought new front doors for my explorer and the driverside has the touch pad.
what do I need to make it work with an explorer that didnt have one stock?
do I need anything more out of the donor explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you will also need the module that is located in the rear compartment where the jack is located. It will also have the code on it for the keypad. I don't know about the wiring in the door itself however my experience has been that these trucks were prewired for all accessories that were available for that model year.

No idea if you can do it, I know that a lot of stuff that was optional for these, the pigtails are there generally, Both my 99 and my 01 had the pigtails for the rear parking aid (Yes, I know what I'm looking at), and neither have it, so it's a gamble mostly.

^ Never noticed a rear parking aid pigtail on my '98, are you sure that's not just the trailer towing pigtail? Granted, my not noticing it doesn't mean it's not there...

I don't think that 98 had the optional rear parking aid, it became an option in 99.

IIRC the harness for the parking aid is found under the trim panel on the "B" pillar and not under the rear of the truck.

The buzzer is behind the driver's side "b" piller, the module pigtail is in the rear area by the jack and there is a pigtail under the right taillight for the sensor wire to plug into. Oxander, what year is your Explorer?

I wasn't exactly using the RPA as the point, but more of look at your harnesses and see if the pigtails are there, I know my 99, and my 01, have pigtails for almost everything they didn't ship with. Back to the OP, it's my understanding looking into it that making the doorpad work is more work than most are willing to put in, since it involves the anti-theft system.

^ lol, that linked page should be a contender for the greatest wall of text there ever was.

Back