• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Lift

rship

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I just purchased a 1998 4WD Explorer XLT, 222,000 miles, rebuilt engine and transmission. It was well taken care of and everything seems to work fine with the exception of the suspension. The rear end is sagging about 2 inches and the front feels like solid steel. I feel every bump like I'm being hit with a sledge hammer. I put new tires on hoping it would help but no improvement. So I have decided to go with a lift of some sort. I have searched everywhere online but cannot find a suspension lift kit for a 1998 4WD Explorer. Did they do something that drastic to the '98 model? I see front spacer kits for '91-'97 but no '98. I don't even find body lifts, which I don't really want but looked anyway. What I do see are add a leafs for the rear and shackles for the rear but nothing up front. I would really like to do a 2-3" suspension lift (front and rear) if anyone knows of anything. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer Lift

I'm kinda in the same boat with my 96. I want to raise it about 2 inches and after days of research I really don't find much of anything out there for suspension lift kits. I do know that Superlift did offer a kit K494 that gave a 4 inch suspension lift. Those kits are still available but a bit spendy. There is always the body lift option but why? Seems to me that if I do any lift at all it should be suspension rather than body. For my needs and preference, 2 inches of suspension lift would be more than adequate. I have no desire to go with 33's - just want a little extra clearance for getting out of the rough when needed.

As for the Superlift kit, I have seen this on other Explorers and the result is very nice. Their kit IS the right way since its' parts are designed to correct the steering and stress geometry involved with such a mod. Of course, you can get a little lift from simply adjusting the torsion rods and replacing rear shackles. I have dinked around with my torsion rods and have maxed-out that adjustment and still the truck is not even close to level.

A sidebar to all of this: My research has led me to the possibility of going to a coilover conversion with drop spindle for a front end lift. Since my X is now 18 years old and I see no reason to trust the integrity of the stock parts, I think coilovers may be a good, solid option to for a lift and some ride improvement. I have much more research to do before starting such a mod so at this time, I have little to offer on the matter. Although, I feel that Corkey's post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373273 is a good start point to be considered.

can you use a suspension lift for a 1998 for ranger on an explorer

Benny,
the coilovers is to get rid of the torsion bars, and it works way better ,so much smoother

only issues are making the brackets, and cost of coilovers,
but there are options, you don't need the really high dollar Fox shocks like i have, there are others,
i may update that thread in the next bit to include cheaper coilover options, like the QA 1 brand,

have any questions about the coilovers , ask me in the thread there , i will look into it more often

First off; the years you are listing ('91-'97) have a few dicrepencies. I'm guessing the places you're finding this info are lumping Rangers in the mix. The Rangers used a twin I beam front suspension up to '97, then switched to the torsion bar setup used on the Explorer from '95 to '01. The rear suspension is different on Rangers as well. They used a spring over the axle vs the spring under the axle on the Ex. A front kit from a Ranger '98 and on should work on an Explorer '95 to '01. The rear is an axle flip that brings the axle under the rear leaf springs. The result is about 4 inches of lift. Up front, coilovers are best, but require some fabrication and you still need the right spindles and lower control arm center frame.

Benny-96Ex,
You just need a torsion twist, with shackles and an add-a-leaf. A simple search on this forum will net you all the info needed. I can add that a few shock makers will say you can use stock length shocks, my experience has found that to be false.

Back