1998 Explorer Limited mystery plug in armrest console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Limited mystery plug in armrest console

brandonscraig

Reaction score
City, State
Christiansburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
when I open my armrest console, there’s a place to plug something in, but I don’t know what. It looks almost like an old school telephone plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you had a CD changer in there? What radio do you have?

Ditto, the CD changer was the most common option for the console to have. There are 2-3 console wiring harnesses for the different option levels. On the underside is a label describing the options the console is made for. That plug should look like a larger CAT5 plug, has about six wires in it. There was also a phone option, but I've only seen one truck with that.

Sounds like you had a CD changer in there? What radio do you have?

That was my thought. At some point in time, the older Explores did have a connection/plug for a "car phone" but as I recall reading it was under the front cup holder piece of the console.

Mine had the same plug described; I ripped it all out when I pulled my interior for the deep cleaning and found it went to a car-phone module under the carpet. I ripped all of that junk out! LOL

Back