• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer muffler

tgreene92

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT x2
im looking for a good muffler to make a great sound on a 4.0 sohc 98 explorer for around or under 100 dollars. can anyone help theres a lot of choices and i dont know what to go with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im looking for a good muffler to make a great sound on a 4.0 sohc 98 explorer for around or under 100 dollars. can anyone help theres a lot of choices and i dont know what to go with.

You're right. So many choices and these questions gets asked a LOT, so don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of response. I'd try this thread to see if you can narrow it down.

Good luck.

yeah dude ive gotta 01 and i dono what muffler to choose

I installed a Flowmaster 50 series Performance/SUV muffler. LOVE the sound.

If you have a 2-door, you'll want to leave the resonator in the tailpipe to prevent droning on the freeway. If you have a 4-door, most people have removed them without an issue. (The longer tailpipe likely has something to do with it)

-Joe

I installed a Flowmaster 50 series Performance/SUV muffler. LOVE the sound.

If you have a 2-door, you'll want to leave the resonator in the tailpipe to prevent droning on the freeway. If you have a 4-door, most people have removed them without an issue. (The longer tailpipe likely has something to do with it)

-Joe

I agree wholeheadtedly on all fronts. I had that very muffler on my old '00 Sport. The drone thing wasn't bad, but did grow old over time so I got an aftermarket resonator put in. I posted a review of the setup here.

muffler

im thinking about getting a cherry bomb vortex muffler, i have a 98 four door explorer. id also like to know how to remove the resonator in the tailpipe. also what size inlet and outlet do i need on the muffler and if any modifications besides removing the resonator are necessary.

muffler

i pretty much need to know everything i need to install the muffler and remove the resonator.

I have a Hooker Aerochamber dual in single out on mine. Its longer than the stock one though, so its not a direct bolt on install. When I had mine installed I went to a local shop and they put 2.5" pipes from the cats all the way back. It was like 200 for that, but if you just do the muffler yourself under 100 isn't a problem at all. I think I paid like 60 or so for mine from Summit Racing. Since its dual in single out all you will need is clamps and some adapters/connecters from Autozone or whatever parts store you like. Here's a link to a video of mine from the interior, don't have any external audio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyBE76t7eE

Oh yeah, leave the resonator on if its a 2dr

I've got a 2door and heard that the SUV/Performance requires you to replace some parts of piping is this true? Because im not really setup for that, if its just a swap with the old muffler I can probably do that but pipes would be an issue.

I've got a 2door and heard that the SUV/Performance requires you to replace some parts of piping is this true? Because im not really setup for that, if its just a swap with the old muffler I can probably do that but pipes would be an issue.

You'd be able to swap it right in place of your old muffler. While I did replace my pipes on my install, the muffler did replace a Magnaflow muffler which was installed directly into the stock pipes.

You heard wrong.

muffler

ive been listening to alot of these video threads and i think im going to install the cherry bomb pro muffler. id like to know if id need to replace the tailpipe. also do i need anything welded because id like to do the install myself and save some money also should i keep the resonator on or take it off. i have a 98 four door explorer, 4.0 sohc. what are the inlet and outlet measurments i need for the muffler.

Since you have the 4-dr you should be ok removing the resonator, its just that on 2 doors like mine it drones at certain rpms. Something to do with the acoustics and harmonic frequencies of the 2dr vs the 4dr. Anyways, I am pretty sure that the measurments for the stock pipes is 2 1/4 ID, although measuring it yourself wouldn't be a bad idea just to double check, and it will only take a second. I would go ahead and scope out the whole set up too, just to get an idea of what you're gonna need and how much room you have to work with. Get a plan going of what you are gonna try and do and make a list of stuff to get at the parts store BEFORE you start cutting stuff up, trust me I learned this the hard way, lol. Don't be afraid to ask if you have questions about stuff.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport and its with the 4.0 engine

So do you have one muffler or two Sam? It seems to me if you have two single in/dual out mufflers you would end up with quad exhaust unless you did a y pipe after each? I am just a little confused here since you say flows which sounds to me like there is more than one. Why not just get two single in/single out mufflers? Please clarify as I thought you had two mufflers and am curious how they are plumbed up.

i don't got quad exhaust

So you have multiple mufflers? Flowmasters is plural for Flowmaster. :confused:

He's got me confused as well. How in heck could you fit two flowmasters under a Sport? :scratch:

Sam, please clarify. I've always understood you to have a single in, dual out SINGLE muffler with dual pipes, i.e. not "true duals". Is that correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its single muffler with dual pipes and its not true duals

Back