1998 Explorer O/D light. I need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer O/D light. I need help.

skeeter_29m

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 2wd
I just got back from the dealership to have my codes ran. The results was this the only code was P1740. It also showed that the Torque converter slips. The mechanic also said that is showed something about the VSS. The vehicle might shift alittle harder with the light on but maybe not its hard to tell. I have researched this board and I will put more faith in the people than my dealer. He said that flushing might fix the problem. He also said he would have to pull the pan to troubleshoot about $500 to check the TCC solenoid. I need to try to repair this myself if I can get some advice. I read that flushing is bad for high mileage transmissions if they haven't been regularly flushed. It has 183,000 on it now. When I bought it it had 99,000 and I changed the filter and fluid and it looked very clean. I am open for any and all suggestions. My funds are limited I just had the balljoints literally fall out of my Toyota and that set me back. This vehicle is in real good shape but how much should I put into it with this many miles. thanks

search for fluid flush and fill, Aldive has a nice write up on how to flush the fluid yourself using the trans cooler lines

$500 to check a solenoid is ridiculous.

Glacier has alot of info about your trans and the converter lock up solenoid.
183K miles, I would start saving for a rebuild, with 183K I am not surprised the converter is slipping, of coutrse it should slip until its locked up via the solenoid, which sounds like on your truck is not working

Back