1998 Explorer PATs prob... "Theft" rapidly flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer PATs prob... "Theft" rapidly flashing

aky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi everyone, new here looking for some help. here's the situation

-truck doesnt start, Theft light flashing rapidly when in the ON position

-tired 2 keys, both dont work

-door lock cylinder (drivers side) was punched out, someone was trying to steal it, but didnt get inside. Does this have anything to do with PATs? Everything worked for for 6 months then all of a sudden it's DEAD. Wont start all day. try next morning, and it starts but just for that day. Next day it's dead again and hasn't started since then

-is there a fuse that i should check?

-thinking of following these instructions in the morning to see if i can initiate a new master key

-any help would be great.

If i need to give you more info let me know please.

Thanks everyone !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just checked inertia relay or switch and that seems fine. Button ontop is already depresses.

underscores are flashing codes:
Originally Posted by scucci
PATS DTC CODES:

PATS Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index

PATS Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index

³ DTC ³ _Flashing Fault_ ³ Description ³ Action ³
³ ³ Code ³ ³ ³
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
³ B1213 ³ _21_ ³ Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1213. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Keys Below Minimum ³ ³
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
³ B1232 ³ _12_ ³ Defective Transceiver ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1232. ³
³ B1600 ³ _13_ ³ No Key Code Received Ä Damaged Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1600. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key or Use of Non-PATS Encoded ³ ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key ³ ³
³ B1601 ³ _15_ ³ Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key (Keycode ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1601. ³
³ ³ ³ Format OK) ³ ³
³ B1602 ³ _14_ ³ Invalid Key Code Format From Encoded ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1602. ³
³ ³ ³ Ignition Key Transponder ³ ³
³ B1681 ³ _11_ ³ PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B1681. ³
³ B2139 ³ _23_ ³ Security ID Does Not Match Between PATS ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B2139. ³
³ ³ ³ and PCM ³ ³
³ B2141 ³ _22_ ³ No Security ID Exchange Between PATS and ³ GO to Pinpoint Test B2141. ³
³ ³ ³ PCM ³ ³
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
³ U1147 ³ _16_ ³ Faulty SCP Link or Incorrect PCM ³ GO to Pinpoint Test U1147. ³
³ ³ ³ Calibration ³ ³

Sorry nit sure how to read the dtc code. Can someone explain.

Thx

just tried these instructions to program a new key

for Ford keys (1996 -early 1998 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key....

1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.

2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.

Was skeptical but thought id give it a try. It didnt work but now it's not turning over, just clicking/ticking when i turn the key

Theft light is still flashing rapidly.

Im trying to count how many times it flashes but theres no sequence to the flashes, just keeps going. How would i find the DTC code then ?

looks like it'll have to go to the dealer, unless someone can give me some advice.

just checked this
Engine does not start: LED flashes rapidly Leave ignition on until the LED starts to flash a 2 digit code: (sequence- pause-sequence)
Check the following codes:
Code flashes:
1:3 Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty. If not go to main dealer
1:4 Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key. If not go to main dealer
1:5 Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master
1:6 Faulty link between PATS module and EECV Go to dealer .

Flash 2sec Flash
4 sec
Flash 2sec Flash

and repeat.

I dont see this listed as one of the codes, does anyone know what this sequence means?

And thanks for the links, ive made a reply to http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246943&highlight=pats

maybe ill quote what i posted there, here also

I feel like a azz!! After 4 hours of replacing the fuel pump, I found out I need the original key and that resets the security system. DOH!!! My wife had the keys and I was using the spare. Who knew???? Well, lesson learned. READ THE NET before tearing it down.

:(

how did you reset? im having the same problem and have both original and space. come to think of it ive been using spare while troubleshooting.

if you can share when u say "reset" that would be appreciated. or if anyone else knows ???

also should mention that there never was a remote to unlock doors etc from Ford.

And a few years back the after market (i installed when i purchased vehicle) alarm stopped working. since then ive just used the key to gain access and start the vehicle.

any other opinions??? Im going to take it into ford on sat if i cannot figure with your help.

Did you get that running yet?

My 98 did the same thing a few years back. After having it towed to the dealer 3 times and being told there was nothing wrong with it, I figured it out.

The problem is in the steering column pickup. Tilt it down then slam it back up, turn it on and see if its flashing. Try it a few times or with the tilt in different positions. Turn it off and on each time. This worked for me but eventually I did have the pick up module replaced.

They charged me $350 to replace it. The guy said he was charging me for parts only because the truck was in for a new engine. I don't know if thats true, but expect to pay at least that much to repair it.

That "result" (pickup not working) is a likely cause of a "unrecognized valid key".

Still not running. Waiting on some help from here. Otherwise I'll be taking to dealer on sat. I tried the tilt thing. But didn't slam it. And I left ignition on didn't turn off each time. I'll try turning off each adjustment.

Is that a wiring issue or whole module?

What did it end up costing you?

Thansk

The only way I ever got it to start was to slam the tilt up and down with the key off. Sometimes it would start with the tilt up and some times down. Once I got it started I wouldn't move the tilt.

Your error code of 22 reflects that this may be the problem, however it could be two far gone. On mine the wires were worn where they pass through the tilt part so it was intermittent.

Ok I'll have to try that when I get home.

How much to fix. Did u get urs fixed?

Can I do this at home?

Anyone know how to remove steering column?

also should mention that there never was a remote to unlock doors etc from Ford.

And a few years back the after market (i installed when i purchased vehicle) alarm stopped working. since then ive just used the key to gain access and start the vehicle.

..From the link in post #6..

The PATS is not compatible with aftermarket remote start systems, which allow the
vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle
security level, and also may cause no-start issues. Remote start systems must be
removed before investigation of PATS-related no-start issues.

...Even if your aftermarket alarm is not working, was it properly removed?

Aftermarket alarm wasn't remved. It just stopped working 3 years ago. Would it have anything to do with that?

I think it was disconnected at the battery. Do these alarms usually get connected directly to battery?

There was no remote start in the aftermarket alarm. Just door unlock/lock and alarm. Maybe imobilizer too but not sure.

Going to try the tilt steering tip.

Ok I'll have to try that when I get home.

How much to fix. Did u get urs fixed?

Can I do this at home?

Anyone know how to remove steering column?

Like I said, about $350. I don't like playing around with the steering column because of the air bag. Also if I remember correctly, something had to be reprogrammed because they wanted all the keys. Not the same as adding another key, kind of like a reprogram if you only have one key. You cant do it yourself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will take it in this sat. Hopefully I can get it started so I don't have to tow it in. Ford charges $130 to diagnose, 90mins. If they can fix in that 90mins I only pay 130+parts. If this is the problem, is it a long job?

Thanks for the help

Back