1998 Explorer rolls while in park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer rolls while in park.

runningbear1

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
First, hello to everyone.....I just joined today.

My daughters share a 1998 Ford Explorer AWD (about 150,000 miles on it). They parked in our driveway the past two days (slight slope), only to find the Explorer has drifted down to the curb both days. Additionally, the AWD doesn't appear to be working in the snow. Normally, the SUV is like a tank, but now drives like a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Any thoughts on what may be causing the problem(s)? I will take it to a mechanic this week, but wanted to at least have an idea of what may be behind this. I have heard front drive shaft, viscous coupling, electrical signal, etc.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome! if its an awd like you say, transfer case could be gone, or like others said, maybe the front driveshaft failed.

Thanks, everyone.....hopefully, I can get it fixed tomorrow/next day without going broke. I appreciate the comments.

Probably the transfer case, the parking is shared between the front and rear driveshafts in an AWD.

a "failed" driveshaft wouldn't allow the vehicle to roll.
if the driveshaft is there, then it's the viscous-coupling.

may want to start hunting around for a junkyard unit; the viscous coupling itself costs ~$300+

See if someone stole your front driveshaft. Seriously...

Back