1998 Explorer Sport Ignition Hell!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Sport Ignition Hell!!

Jrh1992

Reaction score
Hi guys, name's John.

My explorer has me stumped.

Issues:

I was driving around one day and it started misfiring, so I replaced the ignition coil, along with new plugs, wires and cam sensor. Not a single thing changed. It also threw P0353 (Ignition coil C primary/secondary circuit malfunction).

It sat for about six months with the PCM disconnected, I plugged it up and it ran perfectly. About 1000 miles after driving it again, it started repeating the initial problems.

I found that the two center coils were not getting any power. I removed the pack and it had melted through the bottom side in the middle. I replaced the coil and 30 seconds after running smooth, it stopped firing the two center coils again.

I tested the resistance in the two coils and neither one completed the circuit. Is something causing the voltage to spike?

Does anybody have any idea on what the heck to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1998 OHV. I don't have the codes anymore because the battery had been removed. I have an Emissions machine that can check DLC status, the only thing it says is "Ignition coil C primary/ secondary circuit malfunction."

Thank you for looking!

Has been fixed!! I just rewired the ignition circuit and it works now. Thank you Turdle for your interests in helping me.

How did you rewire the ignition? I have an 0353 0352 0351 code and the truck still run's lol.

Has been fixed!! I just rewired the ignition circuit and it works now. Thank you Turdle for your interests in helping me.

I have this exact car and issue. What was your fix? How was the ignition circuit rewired?

jrh1992 hasn't been here in 16 months, so I guess
we won't hear about his fix...???

Betsy98Sport, I've been following your posts on the
problem. I suspect jrh1992 ran a new set of wires from
the PCM to the coil.

It's beginning to sound like Ford had some defective
wiring harnesses from that year...in your case there
must be an insulation break somewhere, since you
were blowing fuses along with a melting coil.

Back