• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer sport

1999redcobra

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
I have an explorer sport 4wd and i want to get it higher. I read the sticky about what tires you can use, but i really want 33 is there anyway to do that without lifting it? I dont do any off roading just want it to look good. Also i was looking at the nitto terrras are those good tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

running 33's without a body or suspension lift. your going to need a saws all!

You might be able to run 32's with trimming of the plastic Tupperware around the wheel wells, but you won't fit 33's without trimming metal.

you can fit 33's if you do a tt and shackles. no trimming needed in my case. i had to shim out and roll my fenders but i didnt cut any metal. my tupperware is gone too though.

ok im looking at nitto terra 285/75r16. i have stock everything but i would really like to fit those on my explorer. Would i beable to if i did a body lift? if so can i have some brands, models, and prices on those lifts? If i cant do those tires without major mods what should i go with that is the biggest without doing anything? thanks

if you could help me out, it would be great!!

if he has a sport, he might not need shackles, he could use leafs from a 4 door, but i yes, will need to do a TT.

yes its is a 1998 explorer sport. what are TT, also will i beable to just do body lift and make those tires fit on there

tt is a torsion bar twist. all you gotta do to accomplish that is tightening 2 bolts. with shackles in the rear, you just loosen 4 bolts, drop the shackles in, and tighten 4 bolts. doesnt that sound a lot easier than a body lift?

ok so if i do a TT, i would beable to fit the 285/75r16 on? How much does the TT raise the car?

tt is a torsion bar twist. all you gotta do to accomplish that is tightening 2 bolts. with shackles in the rear, you just loosen 4 bolts, drop the shackles in, and tighten 4 bolts. doesnt that sound a lot easier than a body lift?

2x on the body lift thing. there is no body lift for a explorer, you would have to get one for a ranger ext cab i do believe. then once you put a body lift in, you would have to drop your fan shroud, and also make sure all your lines, and shifter(s) will extend far enough. you would also have gaps between your bumpers and body (and that would drive me nuts), so you would have to come up with a way to solve that. as i said, if you do a TT and do rear leafs, you would have to get an alignment done after that, and the ride from just changing from a mono leaf which a sport has, to a leaf pack, is so much better, and would also solve any sag that the sports are known for. i changed my mono leaf to a leaf pack, and there was a improvement in the ride.

you can lift it i think 2 inches safely without having to worry about the CV axles

2" is the max i would go on a torsion twist. theres threads all about clearing larger tires, how to lift, how to do a torsion twist, all ya gotta do is search. i personally was able to clear 33's on my truck with only a 2" lift, but thats after shimming my fenders, rolling the lips on my fenders, getting rid of the trim on my rocker panels, and trimming the plastic inner fender wells. personally im still going to do a body lift on my truck just for more clearance, so i guess in the end, the search button on the forums is your best friend to help you decide what you should do.

ok so how much will this cost, the TT is free right cause you are just loosing a few bolts. Then the leaf pack were do i find that? also is all of this hard to install?

You could look for 4 door X's in a junk yard or just get a new set. A new set will have less sag. My 4 door has a sag to the drivers side so I wont be finding any in the yards. I will just buy new. I think I will do AAL's and the TT at the same time.

ok so where do i look for that at? what prices are good?

so i just ask for a 1998 4 door explorer leaf spring?

so i just ask for a 1998 4 door explorer leaf spring?

Yup. That'll do it. You may want to get two passenger side leaf spring packs, as a lot of explorers tend to sag to the drivers side. I think this is due to the weight of the driver and the gas tank being on the same side, wearing on that spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so that will raise the rear like 2in and then the TT will raise the front 2 also

Back