1998 explorer transfer case swap... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer transfer case swap...

bluebottle

Reaction score
City, State
Budapest
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello
First of all I would like to say a HAPPY NEW YEAR for everyone here. So I have a 1998 11th month Ford explorer absolutely stock only things what I changed is the automatic gearbox … now faster changing the gears. So I would like to swap my automatic hyper transfer case for a reliable manual transfer case I had read a lot of thread about it but the cars was always the older models. So my question is what kind of manual transfer case can I put in to my explorer I don’t care about the 4 wheel drive light and don’t want do the brown wire trick… and don’t want playing with the wires around the GEM module. What I want is a transfer case what is working when I want.
I heard about 1354 Borg transfer case may will work.. Please I need a help to decide which will be the better for my car. Thanx
P.S
And another question is about body lifting for a same car… Ranger body lift is ok for a 1998 explorer and what year of ranger I need to choose???
Thanx
Richard
a here is a video of my explorer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2So3BWyAs
Sorry for my English

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i see i didn’t get so much answers  the question one more time :
FOR A 1998 4.0L SOHC FORD EXPLORER WITCH IS THE BEST CHOICE IF I WANT TO SWAP MY AUTOMATIC TRANSFER CASE FOR A MANUAL TRANSFER CASE ???? 4405 , 1354 ?? OR FROM A F150 TRUCK OR MAYBE FROM A RANGER ??? OR FROM A LADA ;-)

I've seen several good write ups here for a 1354 swap.

1354 case with the front drive shaft from a 95-96 x

Back