• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Transfer case

JsGracey

Reaction score
City, State
Strasburg Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Okay my 98 Explorer has lost its transfer case for the Second time.

This may sound stupid but imnot sure what I have. Sorry im a Mustang guy not really a 4 wheel drive guy

My Explorer has what im told is an auto sensing transfer case, my four wheel drive selector has AUTO, 4 HIGH and 4 LOW.

The only thing i can find used around here is out of explorers that actually have 2WD, 4 High and 4 LOW.

Are these transfer cases the same in the way they bolt up and function. What do i need to look for to replace my transfer case.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will bolt up but your GEM will have a problem with it.. What makes you say it failed? What are the symptoms?

That was a quick response.

Im getting gear grinding when I left off the gas, The tranny shop that had it said the gears are not meshing properly when they are not under a Load. Evidently thay have seen this before. IT also on occasion would seem like the transfer case had gone into a neutral position, The vehicle would roll even with the tranny in park.

im wanting to fix it to sell it, loved the vehicle but bought something bigger with less miles. I want to fix it correctly for the next owner though.

Ahh okay.. Another option is to find a BW4405 from a 95-96 and remove the shift motor electrical connection and manually shift it.

The best option would be to run a search in the transmissions and transfer cases forum for grinding t-case. It's a problem with the shift rail bores getting worn out that causes it. Omega Machine sells remanufactured t-case housings with bushed shift bores (among other modifications) that will solve the problem.

To replace yours, you'll need one out of a 98-01. The 97 has a different front output shaft, and the 95-96 cases uses the speed sensors in the case itself, so there are some issues there too.

A 95-96 44-05 won't work as it can't be manually shifted. High/Low range can be manually shifted, but the case must still be locked electrically.

-Joe

Back