• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer V8 (loss of power)

Weedo

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT V8
I have a stock 1998 Explorer V8 2wd. It just hit 99,000 miles and I recently put in new plugs/wires. I bought it at 98,000 miles from the original owner with all maintenance. It's having a weird issue as of today, almost like it's running on 6 or 7 cylinders. I'd say a feeling of 25% loss in power. When I backed up today, it stumbles and chokes very badly. It feels like possibly the catalytic converter is all plugged up. What odd is it doesn't dog out so badly in drive, but trying reverse a couple more times it's very noticeable.

On side of the cats was replaced by the Dealer by the previous owner. Could the other side be "plugged" now and just not throwing a check engine light?

I scanned it tonight and it doesn't show any Codes, but it does show:

Pending Code of P0353
Ign Coil C Primary
Secondary Ckt

For some history, it felt lacking power a couple weeks after I bought it. That's when I did the plugs/wires. Felt much better after that. Now a few days later, we have this problem.

Thanks for any thoughts! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

plug fouling?

by oem do you mean motocraft?

the two most used brands that get god reviews are motocraft and autolite

possible...

troubleshoot cheapest things first

I would pull the plugs and see if one or two looks a lot worse than the rest, then check over the wires (not sure how, but I would figure something out... maybe a resistance test?) then start replacing things

but if your problem was preexisting then went away when you changed the plugs, then came back... I'd be wondering about oil leakage / consumption and plug fouling

Does your exhaust have a very unpleasant stench to it? This is a sure indication you have a clogged cat.

Also, what fouls plugs can and will plug your cats. Bad valve guides would allow oil to blow by and foul plugs. Then the partially burned oil will plug a cat like nobodys business.
Clear indication of bad valve guides is smoking a little upon starting the truck once it has sat for awhile, such as overnight.

Does your exhaust have a very unpleasant stench to it? This is a sure indication you have a clogged cat.

Also, what fouls plugs can and will plug your cats. Bad valve guides would allow oil to blow by and foul plugs. Then the partially burned oil will plug a cat like nobodys business.
Clear indication of bad valve guides is smoking a little upon starting the truck once it has sat for awhile, such as overnight.

No unplesent odor. We cleaned the MAF today as well. So....cleared the code and it drove great, FAST in reverse (kept spinning the tires). Then when I backed up again, it dogged again, maybe 50% power left, if that. Cleared the pending code, drove around the block, hit the gas hard a few times, checked for the pending code, no codes. Put it in reverse, backed up fast, it dogged. Checked, and the pending code came back.

I'm thinking of replacing both coil packs. I hate to throw money at anything without knowing for sure what the problem is though.

Thanks for the help guys, any other thoughts?

Since we didn't really come up with anything, I ordered 2 new Coil Packs. Keep you posted...

So I put both coil packs in (with battery disconnected), cleared all codes (did this first) and went out for a test drive. Everything seemed fine. I did the test putting it in reverse and backing up the street (small hill) and the same thing happened as before.......it cuts power to about 25% (or so it seems) and it sputters.

Anyone else have any ideas on what to check next? I really hate to spend $100/hr at the Dealer if I can help it.

So I put both coil packs in (with battery disconnected), cleared all codes (did this first) and went out for a test drive. Everything seemed fine. I did the test putting it in reverse and backing up the street (small hill) and the same thing happened as before.......it cuts power to about 25% (or so it seems) and it sputters.

Anyone else have any ideas on what to check next? I really hate to spend $100/hr at the Dealer if I can help it.

If it's any consolation I'm having the same issue but I'm getting 4 codes

P0102 MAF sensor reference signal voltage too low
P0117 IAT or ECT intermittent fault
P1100 MAF sensor volt out of specification
P1117 IAT or ECT intermittent fault

I have yet to figure out the problem. Right now a stick of dynomite comes to mind.

If it's any consolation I'm having the same issue but I'm getting 4 codes

P0102 MAF sensor reference signal voltage too low
P0117 IAT or ECT intermittent fault
P1100 MAF sensor volt out of specification
P1117 IAT or ECT intermittent fault

I have yet to figure out the problem. Right now a stick of dynomite comes to mind.

Odd that you're getting so many codes! Keep me posted, I'll do the same. I figure there HAS to be someone out here with experience on these symptoms or Codes...

any luck with these codes..(OLD POST RESERECTION!)
I have gone here :

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0353

I have the p0353 code on an almost new '01 5.0 model. I believe it to be plugs or a loose/bad connection to the #3 coil from the PCM to the coil. Very intermitt. problem..cleared the code and it took it 500+ miles to come back. No miss fire..runs good as far as I can tell. I venture to guess at this point that the 75 year old lady that put the 31k miles on the truck drove very little and at about 45mph max...carbon build up on plugs and or some old gas might be the problem....anyone else?

Odd that you're getting so many codes! Keep me posted, I'll do the same. I figure there HAS to be someone out here with experience on these symptoms or Codes...

Are you still getting the code you were before? If so you might check the PCM.

Clean your coil pack harness connector.

Also- if you have been on it over 500 miles bad gas isn't in there, unless you mean bad gas fouling things up... I would change the plugs and wires anyhow- put in Motorcraft stock, the truck is for sure worth it. I'd also change the fuel filter. It's probably not in the best shape being that this thing averaged, what- 3,000 miles per year?

Check this post if it doesn't clear up after cleaning the harness connector:

CLICKETH

Mine has been occasionally stumbling in reverse as well, thought it was just me. Runs great in all forward gears, just sometimes sputters when I first put it in reverse.

Clean your coil pack harness connector.

Also- if you have been on it over 500 miles bad gas isn't in there, unless you mean bad gas fouling things up... I would change the plugs and wires anyhow- put in Motorcraft stock, the truck is for sure worth it. I'd also change the fuel filter. It's probably not in the best shape being that this thing averaged, what- 3,000 miles per year?

Check this post if it doesn't clear up after cleaning the harness connector:

CLICKETH

Yeah we are thinking along the same lines...gas fouled a plug and destroyed the fuel filter...I also think a good seafoam will help. It is good to drive hard every once in a while to blast out all the carbon; this probably never happened. The truck being worth it...HELL YES...this mounty is NEW...Love this truck. I will check out the post as well ...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh boy ...I went and pushed down ..gave a little twist to the spark plug wires where connected to the coil...started the mounty and it stuttered like it was running on one or two cyl. only. I shut her off to restart hoping it would clear up...now no start. I just pulled all and cleaned ...still no joy

Back